James Coyne: No to video gaming treatment research!

Victor Maalouf

The study is an awesome idea. I thought of it myself. Coyne is being ridiculous.

Actually, I don't know. Some will get better. Some will get worse. Artificial lighting is generally bad for CFS/ME, but the mobility of the games would help significantly. It won't be a cure, but a way to maintain some level of fitness and activity, sure.

Last edited:

Empty

Coyne is not being ridiculous.

The "some" you casually mention in your sentence: 'Some will get better. Some will get worse." are CHILDREN.

Children should not be experimented on in this way.

San Diego

If you’ve ever had kids, you know that you can’t really hold them down. If they were capable of fitness and activity, they’d be doing it on their own. If they’re in bed, they are sick. Just like us.

And if these kids are in bed, I’ll just about guarantee they are already playing computer games as their energy allows.

When will people believe sick people? This study is a waste of time and money, and it’s insulting.

Find a different disease, without cellular energy problems, and apply this crap there.

Merry

I went back and checked James Coyne's blog post and Sasha Nimmo's interview with the principal investigator, Katia Ferrar, and the clinical trial of active video gaming as treatment is for adults. Esther Crawley's online CBT treatment study is for adolescents.

bobby

I went back and checked James Coyne's blog post and Sasha Nimmo's interview with the principal investigator, Katia Ferrar, and the clinical trial of active video gaming as treatment is for adults. Esther Crawley's online CBT treatment study is for adolescents.
I thought they first tested the video game approach on adults, and are now planning on trying it out on kids. I'll see if I can remember where I read that, but my mind is pretty scrambled atm.

Merry

I thought they first tested the video game approach on adults, and are now planning on trying it out on kids. I'll see if I can remember where I read that, but my mind is pretty scrambled atm.
Ok. I will read the post and the interview more thoroughly.

If I was prescribed active video gaming as treatment, I would definitely feel infantilized. Worse -- if I was required to engage in active video gaming I would, within fifteen minutes, die of boredom.

San Diego

I shutter to think where this is heading.

When CBT is done electronically, it is monitored. How long until we reach the point where benefits are denied based on that electronic surveillance?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources