Jarred Younger on Low Dose Naltrexone and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Most of the attention on low dose naltrexone has revolved around fibromyalgia but Dr. Younger is now looking at its use in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Check out a video he just posted on ME/CFS and LDN.

Farmgirl

It's too bad these studies can't be done long distance. Sounds promising nevertheless...
I was so desperate I was going to go down there and sign up and live there for 3 months!
I did not and now I am on LDN....it works wonders for my body-wide pain!!

Funny, though, it doesn't seem to have an effect on "normal" pain...like a sprained ankle, a stubbed tie, etc. Weird!

Judi

I was so desperate I was going to go down there and sign up and live there for 3 months!

Funny, though, it doesn't seem to have an effect on "normal" pain...like a sprained ankle, a stubbed tie, etc. Weird!

Farmgirl

Eset Isadore

I’m so happy for your success with it. I’m on my second trial of LDN. It’s been six weeks on .5mg in the am, and I’m in terrible pain when I have it. I’m considering asking my doctor to let me stop.

Creekside

LDN worked for me too, blocking the perceived muscle aches effectively. Without it, it hurt to walk. With it, I cold go for multi-hr hikes without any feeling of ME pain. For whatever reason, my aches were mainly focused in my front thigh muscles, though they'd spread to the rest of my body when the ME was really bad.

As with Farmgirl, LDN did nothing for regular muscle pain...and regular pain relievers did nothing for the ME pain. My guess is that the pain was due to how the brain processes pain signals, rather than due to actual pain signals from muscles.

For those who prefer to minimize doses, taking LDN sublingually reduces the amount needed by around 1/3, at least it does for me. The effects also seem to last between 36 and 48 hrs, so I was alternating am and pm every second day. 2.5 mg sublingually was the minimum necessary dose for me. I stopped taking it regularly after the aches stopped being every day.

Judi

I’m so happy for your success with it. I’m on my second trial of LDN. It’s been six weeks on .5mg in the am, and I’m in terrible pain when I have it. I’m considering asking my doctor to let me stop.
Eset Isdore, I am now taking 4.5mg at night 10:00 - 11:00. I stopped taking it not long ago and the fibromyalgia pain returned so I started back on it. It hasn't done much if anything for my CFS. Maybe you could go up on the dose? It didn't help me until I reached that dose. Of course we all function differently.

Last edited:

Creekside

Keep in mind that LDN has an optimum dosage (at least for ME) and it seems like a fairly narrow range. For me, 2.0 mg had no effect, but 2.25 mg had full effect. I forget what dosage it started losing function again, but I think it was over 6 mg. I've read of people taking very low doses, such as .5 mg, so maybe for them 4.5 mg might be past their 'no longer works' point. We all do function differently, so we have to experiment to see what works for us as individuals.

Eset Isadore

Eset Isdore, I am now taking 4.5mg at night 10:00 - 11:00. I stopped taking it not long ago and the fibromyalgia pain returned so I started back on it. It hasn't done much if anything for my CFS. Maybe you could go up on the dose? It didn't help me until I reached that dose. Of course we all function differently.

Thank you, Judi. I previously tried 1.5, 3, and 4.5. At every dose it seems to provoke my already frequent and disabling Hemiplegic Migraines. I just don’t have enough bandwidth to keep experimenting with it when nothing in my experience suggests it’s an appropriate drug for me and when my doctors can really not provide any guidelines or means to measure its effectiveness. I went off it (again) this weekend. It’s too bad, as I feel like I come across endless success testimonies with it!

Eternalflow

Hi, have the results of Youngers study been published yet?

Also, i m only day 3 on liquid .5 morning dosage. Could it really make a difference at what time exactly one takes it? Sofar everyday at a different time depending on wake up and we had the clocks change over too..

Or how do i know what the best dosage is, titration up or down, pulsing even; my body has quite a delayed response to everything and weather, events etc, get also into the mix..

mmh, i am very happy, confidant in myself somehow, like i used to feel, excited about a new future and calm feeling too, and am only today, on day 3, tired.
Day 1,2 were fab, i felt like my old self, socially rewarded too and been out a lot on both days, really sweet. After taking the first dose, i felt ' tipsy drunk happy' without being drunk after an hour, still feel like it, just v tired today.

Anyway i so wish this will last and compound in my body for healing

Eset Isadore

I stopped it entirely. Last July, I spent a month climbing from 1.5 to 3.0 to 4.5mg. I did poorly at each dosage. It’s either not the med for me or now is not the time. I’m so happy others have had more success than I.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources