Jon Kaiser Interview on Synergy Mitochondrial and Immune Support Trial

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Prohealth did a short interview with Dr. Kaiser - the originator of the Synergy drug and supplement combo.

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=21439

3) How did you become interested in treating mitochondrial dysfunction and ultimately develop the K-PAX formula?

At the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, several of the early antiviral drugs were shown to directly cause toxicity to the mitochondria ultimately leading to fatigue, immune dysfunction, dementia, and many other serious side effects. My primary goal in developing the K-PAX micronutrient formula was to identify an antidote to this horrible toxicity to the mitochondria of my AIDS patients.

With initial funding from the pharmaceutical giant Bristol-Myers Squibb, I was able to demonstrate extremely positive effects of this mitochondrial support nutrient formula on the nervous and immune systems of AIDS patients who were experiencing mitochondrial toxicity. The results of this double-blind, placebo-controlled trial were published in the Journal of AIDS in 2006.

When Bristol-Myers Squibb elected not to continue supporting the development of an inexpensive, natural product that could protect patients from their drug’s side effects, K-PAX Pharmaceuticals was founded in order to continue its development.

Once research on mitochondrial dysfunction in ME/CFS patients began to be published, I decided to shift my focus from working with AIDS patients to helping people with ME/CFS.

5) Have you tested the K-PAX formula on ME/CFS patients? What was the result?

This mitochondrial support supplement (plus a low dose stimulant) has been tested in three different groups of ME/CFS patients. The initial testing was performed in my clinic. Upon seeing patients who had been at a plateau with their ME/CFS symptoms for many years experience rapid improvement in a matter of a few months, I felt there was ample reason to move it into clinical trials.

The second group of patients was those studied in the recently published proof-of-concept study. This was a prospective study, meaning that patients who had never taken this treatment before were provided it as a single intervention.

After 12-weeks on treatment, 87% of the study patients experienced at least a 25% reduction in both overall CFS symptoms and concentration difficulties. The treatment was also very well tolerated.

The third group of patients to receive this treatment were those in a recently completed double-blind, placebo controlled trial known as the Synergy trial. The patients who got the treatment experienced an almost 20% reduction in their overall CFS symptoms. The treatment was also well tolerated in this study.

One of the most interesting findings in this trial was that the group of patients with the most severe symptoms at the beginning of the trial had the most impressive response. While there was also a strong positive response in the placebo group, we feel that the results of this trial provide very important information about things like safety, dosage, and study design that justify moving forward with performing an even larger study of this treatment.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources