Julie Rehmeyer Speaks to ME Action on Her New Book

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Nice interview with Julie on "Through the Shadowlands"- Julie Rehmeyer's Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Tale of Recovery...It's coming out in May I think.

How ill she was

In 2011, I was totally out of commission. In a way, that made writing more intimidating, but in a way it made it more urgent. My mind was compromised, and writing about research was really hard. I went to see Nancy Klimas and I was on the plane feeling totally terrified, because I was hoping for a miracle, and I didn’t think I was going to get it. I was in such bad shape that just holding myself upright in the chair was nearly impossible. And I was really, really scared. I wrote an email to a friend about how it reminded me of how I’d felt about when my mother was dying of cancer when I was 18.

He wrote back and said, “You have to write a book about this!” and he basically laid my book out for me! And I thought, He’s right! That’s my book – I have to write it.

But at the same time, I was far too sick to do that much.

About her reaction to mold

Let me tell you, there were few people more skeptical than me when I first started exploring it. I went to Reno to meet Erik [Erik Johnson has written about mold avoidance], and I was really trying to give this (in my mind) ridiculous, whacked out theory every chance I could… Then he took me to these moldy places, and indeed I reacted to them very strongly, and it was completely mind-blowing.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources