Petition Keep Psychiatry Out of NIH Study on ME/CFS

Laurie P

Seanko

Couple of thoughts

1 Mady Hornig is/was a psychiatrist, Jarred Younger & Leonard Jason are psychologists. All of them are acknowledged as doing good biomedical science by the ME/CFS community.

2 There has been a lot of criticism of the new NIH program by a some vocal individuals...Have they been praised enough for initiating the project?

Reactions: GG

IrisRV

1 Mady Hornig is/was a psychiatrist, Jarred Younger & Leonard Jason are psychologists. All of them are acknowledged as doing good biomedical science by the ME/CFS community.
Hmm.... but are they doing psychiatric work as part of their good biomedical ME/CFS research? I realize there's some overlap in psychiatry and neurology. Competent psychiatrists might work in neurology, which is not necessarily a problem. We don't have to keep all psychiatrists out of our research, but we do have to keep psychiatry out.

Psychiatry is defined by the Oxford Dictionary as:
The study and treatment of mental illness, emotional disturbance, and abnormal behavior.
We don't need or want this in the NIH study, or any other ME/CFS research at this time.
There has been a lot of criticism of the new NIH program by a some vocal individuals...Have they been praised enough for initiating the project?
No.

weyland

We don't have a problem with psychs obviously. We have a problem with psych explanations of the disease. If Hornig, Younger, and Jason were doing psych research claiming psych etiology we would not be happy with them, but they are doing biomedical research on a biomedical disease.

2 There has been a lot of criticism of the new NIH program by a some vocal individuals...Have they been praised enough for initiating the project?
I will reserve praise until I can be sure that the results of this research doesn't harm me. This NIH study is not what we've been clamoring for anyways. We want increased extramural funding for expert research on the disease. We don't want the non-experts at the NIH to study us.

Laurie P

Mady Hornig is/was a psychiatrist, Jarred Younger & Leonard Jason are psychologists. All of them are acknowledged as doing good biomedical science by the ME/CFS community.

Did you read the petition?

From the petition:

Most baffling, the choice of experts runs counter to the IOM report commissioned by HHS, and the P2P report commissioned by NIH. Contrast the emphasis on fatigue, somatoform disorders, and catastrophizing with this recent survey of the literature by DePaul psychologist Leonard Jason:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4761639/

There are already over 1,000 signatures in less than 24 hours!

Reactions: GG

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources