Klimas Teams Scores Major Grant

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Its Gulf War Syndrome! What is this good for ME/CFS? Because Dr. Klimas said that just about everything they're doing for ME/CFS they did first using DOD money for GWS. They've also used their success with GWS grants to show they can the do the same with ME/CFS., So the techniques they use in this grant are probably going to show up in ME/CFS..
It's amazing how many young soldiers were taken down in the Gulf War. A 25% casualty is extremely high in war. A 25% casualty rate as the consequence of war is probably unknown..

At least a quarter of the 700,000 soldiers who fought in the 1991 Gulf War suffer from a debilitating disease called Gulf War Illness (GWI).
GWI is a medical condition that affects both men and women and is associated with symptoms including fatigue, chronic headaches, memory problems, muscle and joint pain, gastrointestinal issues, neurological problems, respiratory symptoms, hormonal imbalance and immune dysfunction.
Paula A. Faria Waziry, Ph.D., assistant professor at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine, and her research team recently were awarded an $805,882 grant from the U.S. Department of Defense’s Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs to investigate the genomic and cellular mechanisms that cause GWI.

The study is titled “An Integrated Genomics and Cell Biology Approach to Correlate Novel GWI Indicators of Infections and Neuroinflammatory Mechanisms with Targeted Drug Therapy.”

“Little is known about what causes the onset and progression of Gulf War Illness,” said Waziry. “Our aim is to identify specific disease targets that will lead to improved diagnosis and more effective therapeutic interventions for patients. It is our duty to help those who served their country in any way we can, and this is one way we can make a major difference.”

GWI is likely caused by a combination of factors including genomic make-up and environmental exposures, such as toxic chemicals and/or viruses. Further exacerbation or chronic stress during and after war-time may also contribute to aggravation and persistence of symptoms.

Who Me?

If I remember correctly, those who got GWS after Desert Storm were ignored, maligned and called fakers, just like us.

JennyJenny

It's amazing how many young soldiers were taken down in the Gulf War. A 25% casualty is extremely high in war. A 25% casualty rate as the consequence of war is probably unknown..
I think the gas wells being lit on fire and those toxins going everywhere (Iraq civilians are probably also suffering but their government probably isn't paying much attention to them) raw medical waste had to be burned by soldiers without any protection AND soldiers report that when they detonated bombs they would often feel a weird sensation such as a weird chill at the backs of their necks and they feel many bombs were actually dirty bombs. Not to mention that they were given, as all soldiers are in wartime, massive inoculations and that in of itself puts the immune system on high alert and it could have been one of those inoculations was formulated wrong and started the immune system harm.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
If I remember correctly, those who got GWS after Desert Storm were ignored, maligned and called fakers, just like us.
For sure. That shows how deep the tendency to psychologize disorders like ME/CFS and GWS is. These were healthy, fit men who thrived on physical activity. Many of them were aggressive adventurers really.

When they fell apart they became malingerers with psychological problems. How does THAT make sense?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources