Kratom

madie

I've been experimenting with kratom for a few weeks, hoping for help staying asleep. It's more often used for pain relief, but some people have luck with it for sleep issues that are unrelated to pain.

It's early days yet. Response to various strains and dosages is highly individual, so I've bought a lot of samples and am working my way through them. I have found strains that help with daytime energy, but if I can't fix the sleep, I think it's dangerous to use them very often.

Has anybody used kratom?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Interesting I didn't know Kratom could be used for sleep but it certainly can.

The general consensus of most people who take kratom is that it can help you fall asleep, stay asleep longer, and get deeper sleep. A more sedating strain is in order if your goal is better sleep. Bali is a good one for that purpose.

You might take kratom an hour or two before bed.

Kratom doesn’t help with sleep for some people

For some people, kratom can have the opposite effect. It can actually keep them awake. Everyone is different.

Since kratom is both stimulating and sleep-inducing, your reaction will be hard to gauge. You’ve got to take it to get a good answer to this question. Just know that the potential is there for some serious sleep.

KweenPita

I have been trying it, mostly green with red veins from Malaysia but it doesn't make me sleepy. It has the opposite effect of an energy boost and it boosts my other medicines effectiveness also. I still have spinal pain because of degenerative disc, kraton does help. I totally weaned myself off opiate type medications for my birthday last March, so I am finding a whole new natural world word to help myself and feel better and eliminate medications. Really, the energy boost, good mood and lack of pain is pretty nice, but I have that "medications effect me weird" thing at times.

donna4

i've been taking a white vein strain for energy and find it works really well. energy and a euphoric feeling. i have taken red strains in the past that are very relaxing and help with sleep. green made me feel weird, uneven effect.

S.A.

I realize this is an old thread, but if anyone is still reading: kratom, for me, has been more effective in treating pain, systemic inflammation, anxiety, and that "flu like" feeling than anything else I've tried. It has also temporarily improved my general sense of well-being. The effects are short-term, lasting only a few hours, but those few hours can make all the difference in the world when you're suffering from a debilitating disease like ME/CFS. I recommend a green vein version in crushed leaf form. It's easy to make a tea with a bit of lemon juice and honey for flavor. A small dose can be energizing, while using more can be mildly sedating.

jaminhealth

I realize this is an old thread, but if anyone is still reading: kratom, for me, has been more effective in treating pain, systemic inflammation, anxiety, and that "flu like" feeling than anything else I've tried. It has also temporarily improved my general sense of well-being. The effects are short-term, lasting only a few hours, but those few hours can make all the difference in the world when you're suffering from a debilitating disease like ME/CFS. I recommend a green vein version in crushed leaf form. It's easy to make a tea with a bit of lemon juice and honey for flavor. A small dose can be energizing, while using more can be mildly sedating.

About how often do you use this small amt, couple times a day or so. Can it be used in water too. How about the red vein, I'm perplexed about which brand to try. My issue is PAIN.

S.A.

About how often do you use this small amt, couple times a day or so. Can it be used in water too. How about the red vein, I'm perplexed about which brand to try. My issue is PAIN.

The red vein varieties seem to have the best analgesic effects, but they're also the most sedating. I've settled on a green vein Maeng Da; it reduces my pain and helps with energy levels.

I usually use it a few times a week, no more than once daily. However, during episodes of extreme pain, I have consumed some every 4-6 hours, and I prefer it over prescription opiates. I know others who swear by it daily. It doesn't seem to be addictive, but I'm careful not to become dependent on anything.

Yes, you can mix the powdered form in water, but the taste is unpleasant. Some folks mix about a tbsp with an acidic drink, like orange or grapefruit juice. If you consume too much, it can cause nausea, so it's better to begin with a low dose to determine the amount best suited to your needs.

Anyone new to kratom should purchase from a trusted seller with stellar reviews. Some online sellers offer variety packs and free samples. I purchased multiple strains from a handful of sellers before settling on a few favorites.

Because of the DEA's latest attempts to crackdown on kratom, it might not be available to purchase for long (and it's already illegal in some states). If you decide to try it, the time is now. Hope that helps.

Wayne

I recommend a green vein version in crushed leaf form.

Hi @S.A.

Thanks for sharing your success with Kratom. I've been getting the feeling I should check this out, but am put off at starting a big research project on it, including what to buy. Could you give a link to the product you're currently using? Thanks! And BTW, congratulations on your improvements. Even modest improvements can have huge implications for our overall functionality and well being.

S.A.

Hi @S.A.

Thanks for sharing your success with Kratom. I've been getting the feeling I should check this out, but am put off at starting a big research project on it, including what to buy. Could you give a link to the product you're currently using? Thanks! And BTW, congratulations on your improvements. Even modest improvements can have huge implications for our overall functionality and well being.

Thanks, Wayne. At this point, I'll gladly take a few precious hours of moderate symptom relief via Kratom.

During the threat of kratom being classified as Schedule I back in 2016, I stocked up on my favorite - crushed leaf Maeng Da. I used Moon Kratom, based out of Austin, TX. They were always reachable by phone to answer questions, usually offered discounts on their already comparatively-low prices, and their products were fresh. Their inventory has since been downsized, and they're only offering the fine powder. With that said, you could contact them directly and request a variety pack to sample. They will likely oblige. I ordered in bulk back then, so I'm not up-to-date on the latest businesses and brands. You might find more variety and a better deal if you shop around, but, personally, I've had success with these guys. Research can be overwhelming, I understand, but I'd recommend you at least read the product reviews of the different strains to help with your decision.

You might want to check up on the legality of kratom where you live. It's still legal at the federal level, but illegal in Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wisconsin, and cannot ship to these states.

You mentioned taking it with water; I suggested mixing with an acidic juice. There's another option - you could order a 00 capsule machine filler (mine came from Amazon) to make your own kratom pills manually from the crushed powder form. Since many of us have multiple chemical sensitivities, I felt more comfortable making my own herbal pills than ordering them and risking a reaction to potential unknown "filler" ingredients or to the capsule itself. Taking it in capsule form has the advantage of removing the kratom taste from the equation. (It's very unpleasant.) If I have to leave the house, I'll usually have some kratom tea an hour before and then carry a few of the pills with me for convenience when my "batteries die" and pain returns. If you use the capsules, like with any other supplement, be sure to drink plenty of water.

Best of luck to you, Wayne. Happy to help.

Wayne

Thanks @S.A. for all the great information. I've been "engulfed" in a recent crisis by an initial onset of severe tinnitus on Feb. 3, which is why I didn't see your post until today. I was wondering if you've ever heard of kratom being useful for treating tinnitus. I've tried googling it, but so far haven't been able to come up with anything.

Thanks again for your reply! :) -- Wayne

S.A.

Thanks @S.A. for all the great information. I've been "engulfed" in a recent crisis by an initial onset of severe tinnitus on Feb. 3, which is why I didn't see your post until today. I was wondering if you've ever heard of kratom being useful for treating tinnitus. I've tried googling it, but so far haven't been able to come up with anything.

Thanks again for your reply! :) -- Wayne

Hey Wayne, sorry to hear about your severe tinnitus. It must be incredibly frustrating. I'm not aware of anything in the literature regarding kratom and tinnitus. With that said, depending on what's causing your tinnitus, kratom could provide some relief in a general sense due to its anti-inflammatory/anti-anxiety effects, perhaps coupled with headphones and soothing music.
If I learn anything more, I'll pass it along.

jaminhealth

On the tinnitus issue, this can be caused by so much...even the class of abx drugs of cipro and levaquin...these are toxic dangerous drugs for so many.

I just posted on the Warnings of these class of abx drugs.

Steve

Wow, very glad to find this thread as I just ordered half dozen varieties of Kratom to try at the suggestion of my Qi gong sifu. She uses Bali strain from the Kratom Trading Company, very reliable and high quality product for bad back injury pain. KTC also throws in a few samples of strains you didn't order to try. There are four Bali varieties there and I picked two, didn't know which. I have severe fibro pain for thirty years and also developed severe tinnitus five years ago, interesting Kratom might help that. I am nervous about trying this stuff as it reminds me of my experiences with MJ edibles, mine and commercial, which led only to six-hour horrendous OD's and urinary hassles due to the very strong anticholinergic effects of MJ, a not well publicized side effect. And after all that, zero pain relief from trying multiple strains;hope Kratom better. I fear that Kratom also might be very anticholinergic and am going to start with very small weighed doses. I was told to visit a site called ILoveKratom for knowledgeable posters, not been there yet. Not writing a book here, will post my experiences and appreciate others' and info like the above.

jaminhealth

Wow, very glad to find this thread as I just ordered half dozen varieties of Kratom to try at the suggestion of my Qi gong sifu. She uses Bali strain from the Kratom Trading Company, very reliable and high quality product for bad back injury pain. KTC also throws in a few samples of strains you didn't order to try. There are four Bali varieties there and I picked two, didn't know which. I have severe fibro pain for thirty years and also developed severe tinnitus five years ago, interesting Kratom might help that. I am nervous about trying this stuff as it reminds me of my experiences with MJ edibles, mine and commercial, which led only to six-hour horrendous OD's and urinary hassles due to the very strong anticholinergic effects of MJ, a not well publicized side effect. And after all that, zero pain relief from trying multiple strains;hope Kratom better. I fear that Kratom also might be very anticholinergic and am going to start with very small weighed doses. I was told to visit a site called ILoveKratom for knowledgeable posters, not been there yet. Not writing a book here, will post my experiences and appreciate others' and info like the above.

Good to hear your comments...I still haven't re entered the Kratom market yet.

JES

juts a quick warning regarding kratom, apparently a large number of products were found to be contaminated with salmonella (source).

madie

The recall was for 3 types of Raw Form Organics kratom, which I've never heard of.

I got a lot of information on redditt's kratom forum. I never did find a strain that helps with sleep. Not surprising, as it's not known for helping insomnia.....but I always hope I'll find something.

Wayne, I have never heard anything about kratom and tinnitus - which I have, but not terribly.

I've ordered from maybe 5 companies vetted on redditt, and like Wicked Kratom and P.A. Botanicals the best. I mostly gave up the experiment since it didn't help with sleep, but I still use kratom occasionally for an energy boost. I take 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of the powder in boiling water.

jaminhealth

The recall was for 3 types of Raw Form Organics kratom, which I've never heard of.

I got a lot of information on redditt's kratom forum. I never did find a strain that helps with sleep. Not surprising, as it's not known for helping insomnia.....but I always hope I'll find something.

Wayne, I have never heard anything about kratom and tinnitus - which I have, but not terribly.

I've ordered from maybe 5 companies vetted on redditt, and like Wicked Kratom and P.A. Botanicals the best. I mostly gave up the experiment since it didn't help with sleep, but I still use kratom occasionally for an energy boost. I take 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of the powder in boiling water.

Thanks for the above info..I'd be taking Kratom for pain but still have not done it YET.

See a couple posts below for my Sleep Remedy...I sleep most nights, 9 yrs or so, interrupted but sleep.

Wayne

I've ordered from maybe 5 companies vetted on redditt, and like Wicked Kratom and P.A. Botanicals the best.

Hi @madie,

Thanks for sharing your brand preferences. I always appreciate that as I have such limited ability to research all the things I would like to. So I lean heavily on hearing from others' experiences. Thank you... :)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources