Latent Herpesvirus Infection More Dangerous Than Active Form?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Every time a cell divides the telomeres on the ends of its chromosomes are shortened a bit. The shorter the telomere the fewer times the cell can divide and shorter it lasts. People with longer telomere's tend to have increased life expectancies. Studies suggest that ME/CFS and FM patients have reduced telomere length.

An article proposes that latent viruses are responsible for shortened telomeres. It turns out that the process that protects and maintains telomeres is hijacked by cytomegaloviruses - the result shortened telomeres in those infected with this virus. About seventy percent of people by the age of fifty are. .The authors call this the Microcompetition theory.

Check it out here:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/296313.php

The theory puts forward new behavioral changes that may be taken on the part of the infected individual in order to decrease the chances of developing a major disease and increase longevity. A common misconception that only the active phase of a viral infection can cause harm proves inadequate, as the Microcompetition theory shows that the latent phase is the most dangerous one. These findings can be crucial to further research into viral infections.

Tammy7

The viruses that showed up in my lab tests when I first became ill were in the herpes family. EBV and CMV. For some reason I did not think that viruses would still be a factor after 19 years...........but really I don't know why they couldn't still be a factor. I havn't had a regular protocol of sorts for awhile........just because I get tired and burn't out. The protocol I will start will be supplements to help build up my system as well as natural anti-virals to hopefully keep them in check. I had terrible fever blisters all my life and someone suggested I probably had a zinc deficiency for a long time..................so my plan to keep viruses in check are zinc, l-lysine, licorice root and cats claw. I just started a liquid methyl/adeno b-12 supplement a little over a week ago and have already noticed a difference..............plan to post my protocol in the future..............it will include the supplements I'm taking to build up my system. I have hope.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
The viruses that showed up in my lab tests when I first became ill were in the herpes family. EBV and CMV. For some reason I did not think that viruses would still be a factor after 19 years...........but really I don't know why they couldn't still be a factor. I havn't had a regular protocol of sorts for awhile........just because I get tired and burn't out. The protocol I will start will be supplements to help build up my system as well as natural anti-virals to hopefully keep them in check. I had terrible fever blisters all my life and someone suggested I probably had a zinc deficiency for a long time..................so my plan to keep viruses in check are zinc, l-lysine, licorice root and cats claw. I just started a liquid methyl/adeno b-12 supplement a little over a week ago and have already noticed a difference..............plan to post my protocol in the future..............it will include the supplements I'm taking to build up my system. I have hope.
PLEASE post your protocol (and if possible your reasons for it.)...Good luck with it!
The herpesviruses do not seem to be going away. CMV apparently has a huge impact on the immune system - even if you're healthy....I'm going to have a blog on EBV's effects on magnesium soon...

Montoya says they have exciting news on pathogens coming out soon. I wonder if it's herpesviruses....

Tami

Would you mind sharing the names of the natural anti-virals you know of?
I hope what you're doing helps you feel better. Thanks for sharing it!
You probably know this, but be careful with the licorice as too much can cause hypertension.
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/licorice

Tammy7

Would you mind sharing the names of the natural anti-virals you know of?
Hi Tami.................the supplements I am using to keep EBV in place I mentioned in my above post. L-lysine, cats claw....(not tao free), licorice root (not de-glycerized), zinc. I am not sure if your question is specifically about herbal anti-virals..............which there are many! (if you look in any herb book you will see what I mean!) Yes.........I am aware about the licorice. (thanks for that though)
I was not aware that the licorice root acted as an anti-viral against EBV until someone told me about it. I am taking things very slowly and using relatively low doses and gradually increasing. I have already experienced a couple of periods of detox..............so have to make adjustments. I am only about a month or so into my protocol and am taking more supplements than what I have mentioned. thanks for the well wishes and I certainly will let you know how it goes. So far I have seen an improvement (very subtle) in sleep..........I've had some mornings (just a few) where I have woke up not feeling washed out (havn't felt that in a long time)........the other day I noticed my OI was not as bad............but I'm very early into the protocol.

Last edited:

Tami

Hi Tami.................the supplements I am using to keep EBV in place I mentioned in my above post. L-lysine, cats claw....(not tao free), licorice root (not de-glycerized), zinc. I am not sure if your question is specifically about herbal anti-virals..............which there are many! (if you look in any herb book you will see what I mean!) Yes.........I am aware about the licorice. (thanks for that though)
I was not aware that the licorice root acted as an anti-viral against EBV until someone told me about it. I am taking things very slowly and using relatively low doses and gradually increasing. I have already experienced a couple of periods of detox..............so have to make adjustments. I am only about a month or so into my protocol and am taking more supplements than what I have mentioned. thanks for the well wishes and I certainly will let you know how it goes. So far I have seen an improvement (very subtle) in sleep..........I've had some mornings (just a few) where I have woke up not feeling washed out (havn't felt that in a long time)........the other day I noticed my OI was not as bad............but I'm very early into the protocol.

Thanks Tammy!

Happy to hear of those subtle improvements--encouraging! I know how great it feels to have a morning I don't wake up feeling quite so miserable; rarely happens, but I have the memory of it.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources