Fibromyalgia Leptin Big in ME/CFS AND Fibromyalgia?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Dr. Jarred Younger's good day/bad day study suggested that Leptin may be the inflammatory driver in chronic fatigue syndrome. Patients having bad days had elevated levels of leptin - and a network analysis suggested that leptin was the driver behind a major immune cascade.

Now a study finds high leptin levels in a subgroup of fibromyalgia patients with evidence of inflammation suggests some of them may have the same problem.

It's good news for everybody when research results start to cohere like this. It means multiple groups are looking in the same area...

They found that leptin seems to play an important pro-inflammatory and immunomodulatory role in the pathogenesis of this clinical subgroup of FM.

In this nice overview of a study presented at a conference (but not yet published) this website states
In this study, the research team used the Vectra®DA to measure serum biomarkers in patients with fibromyalgia and elevated inflammatory markers. This was a cross-sectional, prospective study of 33 patients from Los Angeles County. The average age of the patients was 43.5 years, with more females (94%) than males (6%). The patients met the 2010 ACR classification criteria for FM and had elevated ESR and/or C-reactive protein (CRP). The patients did not have clinical evidence of RA or other systemic rheumatic disease.

The results obtained with Vectra®DA were high in patients, with mean score of 46.5 (range 30 to 84, or moderate to high activity). The serum concentrations of the 12 biomarkers, such as IL-6 and CRP, except for leptin, were similar to the ones observed for RA patients. Among the FM patients, 45% had higher leptin levels, ranging from 30 to 81 ng/mL, than the ones reported in RA, ranging from 1 to 45 ng/mL. The FM patients had an average of leptin levels of 42.3 ng/mL. The CRP levels but not ESR was positively associated with the Vectra®DA score.

The researchers characterized a subgroup of FM patients with elevated ESR and/or CRP. The high Vectra®DA scores supported the idea of an inflammatory process associated to this subgroup of patients. In this subgroup the levels of leptin were higher, independent of body mass index (BMI), suggesting the influence of other variables besides obesity in this increase. They found that leptin seems to play an important pro-inflammatory and immunomodulatory role in the pathogenesis of this clinical subgroup of FM. Therefore, a better understanding of this clinical FM subgroup may lead to new diagnostic and therapeutic approaches in fibromyalgia.

Who Me?

I remember seeing a piece on 60 Minutes a few years ago about Leptin. It took sleep deprived college students and measured weight gain which was attributed to leptin.

I know when my sleep is crap I'm hungry all the time. Not sure if these two are related. Just a comment.

TigerLilea

I remember seeing a piece on 60 Minutes a few years ago about Leptin. It took sleep deprived college students and measured weight gain which was attributed to leptin.

I know when my sleep is crap I'm hungry all the time. Not sure if these two are related. Just a comment.
The tireder that I am, the more I eat. And never the healthy foods either. :hungry:

Who Me?

When I don't get enough sleep I eat non stop. Anything I can find, usually carbs. That's leptin.

There a leptin diet. I can't remember exactly what it is but I remember seeing a book about it on amazon.

Issie

I have found leptin resistance to be one of my issues. I found a supplement that will help your body uptake it properly and it makes your switch of fullness work. Not sure if it is helping FMS pain - because that is one of my biggest issues. But the one I use is by Life Extension called Irvingia - Integra Lean. I use it a few days a week. Maybe more might help the pain. Worth a try.

Issie

Paw

I'm wondering if leptin markers are part of standard metabolic panels, and, if so, how they are identified. I'm curious about looking back on my past tests (and I just had a comprehensive panel this morning).

Folk

When i first saw Younger's study about leptin I ordered myself a leptin test. Who would've thought that after being requested thousands of bloodtests by profesional doctors with all results being normal I, the patient, would found an elevated result. Yet it didn't help me with nothing in terms of treatment... But it's good to know when you fit the criteria for real.

Who Me?

As far as I know high Leptin is not included in a criteria. Just something they are looking at now.

Folk

As far as I know high Leptin is not included in a criteria. Just something they are looking at now.
Yes... A lot of things aren't in the oficial criteria. But anyway... Every hint that's what I meant...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources