Lift the Burden: Forgive Yourself - Forgive Others - Toni Bernhard

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
From Toni's latest post.

Forgiveness is an action - an action that propels you into a different world - a better world. I feel we most of all must forgive ourselves for becoming ill.

You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well. — Christian author, ethicist, and theologian Lewis B. Smedes

As someone with a chronic illness, for years, I was angry and resentful toward those whom I perceived had not supported me when I needed it the most. Then one day, I called to mind one of those people. I could still feel the disappointment, but for the first time, I was also able to wish her well. Immediately, I felt a huge burden lift. In the space that opened up during that moment of relief, my heart filled with acceptance and peace of mind. It was a day I’ll never forget it.

Read the entire post by clicking on the link below

SueS

I'm reading her book How to be Sick. It's really quite lovely. She comes from a Buddhist perspective and talks about acceptance and self-compassion.

And equanimity. Boy, I wish I could buy that from iHerb.

It's just a really nice read and comforting. Encourages you to be kind to yourself. And we can all do with more of that.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I'm reading her book How to be Sick. It's really quite lovely. She comes from a Buddhist perspective and talks about acceptance and self-compassion.

And equanimity. Boy, I wish I could buy that from iHerb.

It's just a really nice read and comforting. Encourages you to be kind to yourself. And we can all do with more of that.
I'm sure that deep down we're beating the heck out of ourselves because we're not well. We did it when we were well and we're probably doing it more when we're ill. So yes - it takes work to learn how to be kind to ourselves.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources