Long-Term Fibromyalgia Does Not Lead to Dementia

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
In fact not only does long-term fibromyalgia not lead to dementia, it appears that the brain fog in the disorder may not get worse over time. Whatever happens to cognition early in the disease happens and that's about it. This study suggests it is not progressive.
Compared with people who had been ill for a short time, long-term fibromyalgia patients showed no evidence of cognitive decline in 14 of the 15 different measures of neurocognition, despite that fact that their cognitive problems had lasted 12.6 years longer. In fact, measures of episodic memory and processing speed (which are good markers of preclinical Alzheimer’s disease) were in the normal range in both groups.

The authors conclude that the brain fog of fibromyalgia (fibrofog) was not associated with progressive cognitive decline. As they explain, “People affected by memory problems for an additional 12.6 years might be expected to display well-advanced cognitive problems, but in reality, they were not significantly more cognitively disabled than those with a history of cognitive problems for 12 months or less.”

Seeksassy

That's very encouraging! The effect on my brain is absolutely the worst thing that's happened for me; it's amazing how we can get used to pain, but I struggle with acceptance of the cognitive decline. I did an online test for early Alzheimer's a couple of years ago, and had a majority of the indicators....I can't describe how frightening that was. However, a few tests in my doc's office clearly showed it's not Alzheimer's. And I strongly advise against doing those online tests. Anyone with concerns about dementia should speak to their doctor.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
That's very encouraging! The effect on my brain is absolutely the worst thing that's happened for me; it's amazing how we can get used to pain, but I struggle with acceptance of the cognitive decline. I did an online test for early Alzheimer's a couple of years ago, and had a majority of the indicators....I can't describe how frightening that was. However, a few tests in my doc's office clearly showed it's not Alzheimer's. And I strongly advise against doing those online tests. Anyone with concerns about dementia should speak to their doctor.
I actually think the cognitive part is the most emotionally distressing...It's like you've lost a piece of yourself...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources