Poll Low Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) levels? Poll for both low and hi

Have you ever have abnormal Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) tests?

• Total voters
Hi All,

I started having symptoms in the early 2000s and since the very start of testing whenever doctors have run a standard liver function panel my Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) comes back low. And every time they say it is irrelevant since it only matters if it's high. But as a PhD myself who can't help but research I periodically set out to investigate and find...well, basically nothing (except mentions of malnutrition, which I suppose could be possible if there is malabsorbtion/leaky gut, and Wilson's Disease, which I don't have).

So I'd look, find nothing, forget about it. Recently, however, I was prescribed Xyrem for sleep, and after having several horrific experiences, learned I needed to start at the dose typically recommended for those with hepatic dysfunction. Indeed I am super sensitive to most medications/supplements I take, as well as to alcohol and while there could be many reasons, it got me thinking about ALP again (which, turns out, the testing looks at overall, although ALP subtypes may be from bone, mitchochondria, other sources in addition to liver).

Looking on this forum I noticed others have mentioned low ALP (Mellster back in 2012, Neunistiva, Winterwren, Bjjpapi this year) but others have had high. Thought I'd see about numbers.

Remy

Administrator
I need some clarification!

Mine is not below range ever, but is usually lower than optimal in the 50s historically.

Since I started taking high dose zinc to bring that level up into optimal ranges, my ALP has increased into the 70s.

So maybe I need to change my vote? :)

I need some clarification!

Mine is not below range ever, but is usually lower than optimal in the 50s historically.

Since I started taking high dose zinc to bring that level up into optimal ranges, my ALP has increased into the 70s.

So maybe I need to change my vote? :)

Hmm, I can see why those options don’t quite cover your situation! Sorry about that (and apologies for several typos - brain fog!). Helpful to know yours came up that much with zinc, my haven’t but I may need to up the dose.

I say leave your answer for now and let’s see if we can more (hint hint to forum lurkers out there - help!)

Laura L

Hi All,

I started having symptoms in the early 2000s and since the very start of testing whenever doctors have run a standard liver function panel my Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) comes back low. And every time they say it is irrelevant since it only matters if it's high. But as a PhD myself who can't help but research I periodically set out to investigate and find...well, basically nothing (except mentions of malnutrition, which I suppose could be possible if there is malabsorbtion/leaky gut, and Wilson's Disease, which I don't have).

So I'd look, find nothing, forget about it. Recently, however, I was prescribed Xyrem for sleep, and after having several horrific experiences, learned I needed to start at the dose typically recommended for those with hepatic dysfunction. Indeed I am super sensitive to most medications/supplements I take, as well as to alcohol and while there could be many reasons, it got me thinking about ALP again (which, turns out, the testing looks at overall, although ALP subtypes may be from bone, mitchochondria, other sources in addition to liver).

Looking on this forum I noticed others have mentioned low ALP (Mellster back in 2012, Neunistiva, Winterwren, Bjjpapi this year) but others have had high. Thought I'd see about numbers.

I take Xyrem too. I was wondering, what's the dose you're taking? Thanks!

The 'just ignore low ALP' comment was also given by my doctor. This was before my pancreas damage, in particular exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI was discovered. Now I know that low ALP can be a sign of malnutrition, pointing to possible deficiencies in vitamins B and C, zinc and phosphorous. Low ALP can be linked with fatigue, shortness of breath, temperature sensitivity and weight loss. I would not take the doctor's advice and ignore it. If you have not already, please have your exocrine pancreas function tested. Also helpful can be nutrient level testing to see if you are deficient in vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, amino acids, etc.

kaiaua48

Hi All,

Hi, did you ever find out anymore about this, or manage to bring your levels up with supplements? My wife has had steadily dropping ALP since she got sick, it is now at about half the bottom limit level, at 20-25, where the normal range starts at 40. An endocrinologist is currently looking into hypophosphatasia, but that seems unlikely. She has also tested low on phosphate, so it could be some kind of malabsorption issue. She tests low everytime, and likewise her first doctor always ignored the results, but a second doctor has seen them now and thinks they need investigating.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources