Low blood volume without POTS, other questions

TJ_Fitz

I've seen some posts here about low blood volume possibly being a culprit in ME/CFS, which is my issue. I'm fairly intolerant of cold weather, and suspect that LBV could be the cause. My hands get cold easily when temperatures are in the low 60s (F), and it's hard to keep my wedding ring on because my fingers shrink. I also get cold feet easily, but temps have to drop further for that. It would also explain my tendency to get muscle and tissue adhesions easily, because there isn't enough blood flowing to keep those tissues moist and plump.

On the other hand, I don't have POTS or unusually low BP. I have been taking my BP each morning and it's typically between 95 to 115 over 70 to 80. And there are some days when I feel like I've got good circulation. Is it likely that LBV is an issue for me?

So if LBV is an issue in ME/CFS, why is it so? Are we not properly regulating blood volume? Are we losing blood somewhere? Are we chronically dehydrated? Are we unable to keep up with the demand for producing blood components in the face of everything else that's taxing our metabolism?

LondonPots

I have PoTs, and my BP is very variable, hour by hour. The main independent indicator of my hourly/daily condition is my heartrate. From lying to standing it more than doubles, and that doesn't feel nice at all.

I read somewhere (I forget, sorry), that low BP isn't necessarily a symptom, though I don't see how. My medical instructions, which I follow, are to drink an extra 3 litres of salted water per day. I add soluble flavoured Vitamin C tablets else I'd never manage it. The cause, I'm told, is low ADH (anti-diuretic hormone), which essentially means pee-yourself-dry. And where the water goes, the salt goes, or vice versa. Something. I get terrible cramps if I don't consume lots of salt. I got my electrolytes measured recently, and despite the huge amounts of salt I'm consuming, my levels are bang in the normal range.
I've no idea what causes the ADH problem, perhaps a faulty hormone cascade from our inflamed brains.

TJ_Fitz

I'm fortunate that my heart rate is fairly stable. I can go for a brisk walk without it exceeding 120 bpm.

I've actually been salting my water for about 10 years now, and it's been a big help for me. I learned about that in Dr. Wilson's book on adrenal fatigue. His explanation is that when the adrenals are fatigued, they don't produce enough aldosterone, which is what signals the kidneys to excrete potassium and retain sodium. Without aldosterone signalling, the kidneys default to excreting sodium and retaining potassium, which is why folks with adrenal fatigue don't tolerate high-potassium foods very well. I just did some reading on vasopressin (ADH) yesterday).

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources