Magnolia extract as adrenal adaptogen.

Remy

Administrator
This article suggests that magnolia extract may be extremely useful for those with HPA axis dysfunction since it can both lower cortisol that is too high and also raise it (by converting cholesterol) when too low.

Given it is also a potent anti-inflammatory (by inhibiting IL-6) and has significant antimicrobial activity, magnolia looks to be a good fit for many with MECFS to consider.

Keywords:
  • Magnolol;
  • adrenal cells;
  • steroidogenesis;
  • signal pathway;
  • lipid droplet capsule
  • This study investigated the effect of magnolol, a compound purified from Magnolia officinalis, on glucocorticoid production by primary adrenal cell culture.
  • Magnolol increased corticosterone secretion in a dose-dependent manner, this effect being maximal at 40 μm. A similar effect was seen in a minced adrenal gland system.
  • In magnolol-treated cells, the number and total area of cytoplasmic lipid droplets were reduced, suggesting a high utilization rate of cholesterol esters stored in lipid droplets. In control cells, the capsule of the lipid droplet was clearly delineated by immunostaining with antibody A2, whereas capsular staining was discontinuous or undetectable following magnolol treatment. The percentage of decapsulated cells increased significantly from 20% in the control group to 80% in the magnolol-treated group.
  • Magnolol-induced steroidogenesis was not mediated either via the traditional ACTH-cyclic AMP-protein kinase A pathway or by protein kinase C, since the intracellular cyclic AMP level did not change and inhibition of protein kinase A or C did not block the action of magnolol. Furthermore, calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II was not involved in magnolol-induced steroidogenesis.
  • The stimulatory effect of magnolol on steroidogenesis apparently requires new protein synthesis, since cycloheximide inhibited magnolol-induced corticosterone production by 50%.
  • Although other studies have shown that high concentrations of magnolol inhibit acyl-CoA: cholesterol acyltransferase and 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in a cell-free system, our data show that, in adrenal cell cultures, low concentrations of magnolol have a stimulatory effect on steroidogenesis, and the glucocorticoid produced may explain the effective control of asthma by Magnolia officinalis.
British Journal of Pharmacology (2000) 131, 1172–1178; doi:10.1038/sj.bjp.0703669

Who Me?

@Remy Have you tried it yet? Should I add it to my over flowing drawer of stuff to try?

Did it say dose? There is bark extract?

Who Me?

@Remy just a little hunting and who knew this would help sleep?

Several comments say the Swanson helps with that.

This was in another comment

The mechanism is GABA potentiation and serotonin 5-HT6 antagonist.

I'm gonna get some from sleep.

Who Me?

@Remy Cool. Let me know when you are cured!

I'm gonna get the Swanson to try for sleep. It got surprisingly good reviews.

Who Me?

Update. I had a horrible Tuesday. Huge adrenaline Rush early and by 6 still going.

I took one Swanson capsule and about 1 1/2 hours later I was noticeably calmer. I even noticed my usual loud heartbeat was better

Around 9:30 I took another cap. Slept pretty good for me and most of the day felt calm and still do

I did have a tinge of a headache this morning which went away. Mid afternoon i started to feel pretty bad. Bad fog and fatigue. I don't know if it's the magnolia bark or PEM from yesterday.

I'm going to take a break and try again. It's been awhile since Ive had such a noticeable result from a supplement. Thanks @Remy

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This article suggests that magnolia extract may be extremely useful for those with HPA axis dysfunction since it can both lower cortisol that is too high and also raise it (by converting cholesterol) when too low.

Given it is also a potent anti-inflammatory (by inhibiting IL-6) and has significant antimicrobial activity, magnolia looks to be a good fit for many with MECFS to consider.

Interesting - I just read that low cortisol is associated with fatigue in ME/CFS. It would be good to bump it up a bit - simply increasing cortisol a bit could also reduce inflammation.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Very interesting Minx - it sounds like something to try out. I had never heard of magnolia extract before.

Who Me?

@Cort I had not heard of it before either. I took some last night. Hard to say.

I do think it gives me a small headache and hint of nausea the next morning that goes away.

I'm still testing.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources