Major Study Finds Immune Downregulation Over Time in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Research' started by Cort, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

Similar to what the Lipkin/Hornig study found, this large study - 100 patients - found significant reductions in some cytokines in longer duration patients vs health controls. This suggests that immune systems becomes downregulated not upregulated over time. That of course suggests that immune boosters might be helpful.

This study looked at some different immune factors than did the Lipkin Hornig CFI study. Two of immune factors that were downregulated were not measured in the CFI stuidy.

Many of the factors that were downregulated in the CFI study were not significantly downregulated in this study. The broad trend of reduced immune activation was the same, but for the most part different immune factors unfortunately showed up in both studies. This is pretty much par for the course for cytokine studies...

Some immune factors were upregulated; one of which - eotaxin - was upregulated in the Lipkin Hornig study. That was good news.

I'm not at all clear how this immune downregulation fits - if it fits at all with the Rituximab results. Rituximab is reducing the activation of some parts of the immune system.

Ellen and Hello! like this.
  2. Folk

Folk Well-Known Member

That would suggest it's not an autoimmune disease or not necessarily?

3. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

This field is so complicated. I don't know if they measured antibodies or if autoimmunity is necessarily associated with increased cytokines. I would think so but even in MS cytokine levels in the blood don't match up well with the disease. It could be that the real cytokine upregulation is in the spinal fluid.

Folk likes this.