Marijuana extract cuts seizures in severe epileptics in half

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
What does epilepsy have to do with ME/CFS or FM? Maybe nothing, but Dr. Cheney has said people with ME/CFS tend more towards seizure than to coma and he wondered what would happen if he put them into an induced coma. It sounds good to me.

Endocannabanoids also appear to be microglia inhibitors.

This cannabis extract reduced the number of seizures in children with severe epilepsy in half. The study results will surely help drive efforts to get the federal govt to drop the barriers to cannabis research
An extract of marijuana shows promise as a treatment for children with severe epilepsy who have been unresponsive to other treatments, after an early-phase safety study is presented at the American Academy of Neurology's annual conference.
marijuana plant, leaves

The study is an analysis of early clinical trialing, so mainly designed to be the first test of the potential medicine's safety and tolerability for patients as well as its possible effectiveness. The extract under investigation is cannabidiol (CBD), and was taken in a liquid form once daily.

A total of 213 children and young adults, with a middle-average age of 11 years, received the extract. There is no "high" from pharmaceutically produced CBD because it is not the part of the plant with psychoactive properties.

All the children had severe forms of epilepsy - including Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut syndromes, which can mean lifelong disabling seizures - and their conditions had not responded to other treatments. They received the experimental treatment under the FDA's expanded access program, which makes investigational drugs available for testing to people with serious or life-limiting conditions.

Who Me?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta has done 2 specials on CNN about this. I just watched Part 2 the other night and families were moving to Colorado to get what they needed for their children from the only place at the time that had some without THC.

It makes me think that if it can calm down an epileptic brain, maybe it can do something to mine which never stops.

I can get medical marijuana where I am but I don't want to be high and I don't want to get the munchies.

Cort

Staff member
Dr. Sanjay Gupta has done 2 specials on CNN about this. I just watched Part 2 the other night and families were moving to Colorado to get what they needed for their children from the only place at the time that had some without THC.

It makes me think that if it can calm down an epileptic brain, maybe it can do something to mine which never stops.

I can get medical marijuana where I am but I don't want to be high and I don't want to get the munchies.
When I had access to med marijuana if I took enough I could get high (which I didn't want) but if I took less I would just feel calm and relaxed and with less pain and more mental clarity actually. it removed many of the sensory symptoms that plague me.

Who Me?

When I first got sick, it was pretty easy to get pot.

I have a distinct memory in 98 maybe? of smoking some pot to sleep. I was up all night, my brain racing from one thing to the next. I remember being surprised at how one minute I would be thinking about Santa Claus and the next I was wondering what I was going to eat for lunch.

I think knowing when to stop, how much is enough to get relief but not get high is very dependent on the strain. In the CNN program last night, the strain most were using, Charlotte's Web, stopped working for them so they had to find someone who would help them with a different strain.

I don't know for sure if it's the THC that causes the munchies but nothing is safe when I'm high. Like onion dip and melt away mints? I actually thought that would taste good together!

Cort

Staff member
When I first got sick, it was pretty easy to get pot.

I have a distinct memory in 98 maybe? of smoking some pot to sleep. I was up all night, my brain racing from one thing to the next. I remember being surprised at how one minute I would be thinking about Santa Claus and the next I was wondering what I was going to eat for lunch.

I think knowing when to stop, how much is enough to get relief but not get high is very dependent on the strain. In the CNN program last night, the strain most were using, Charlotte's Web, stopped working for them so they had to find someone who would help them with a different strain.

I don't know for sure if it's the THC that causes the munchies but nothing is safe when I'm high. Like onion dip and melt away mints? I actually thought that would taste good together!
Thanks for the laugh :D

Hey, it's powerful stuff if it can make onion dip and mints sound good. REALLY powerful stuff :wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:
Eating the candy for me was different than smoking it - mellower - less strange - and not as many munchies...
Food sure does taste good though....

Who Me?

I'm not kidding. I remember eating it as if it was yesterday. What was I thinking?

I have a problem with impulse control and food so I might have a problem with edibles. Until the get dosing under control.

Cort

Staff member
I would lock up the mayonnaise and peanut butter as well. :wacky:

When I had access to med marijuana if I took enough I could get high (which I didn't want) but if I took less I would just feel calm and relaxed and with less pain and more mental clarity actually. it removed many of the sensory symptoms that plague me.

This week I begin my own experimenting with different strains of medical marijuana, plus nabilone. I will be testing its effects on my body to car vibrations. Travel by car, ferry or plane brings on spasms and ataxia. Depending on the day or distance traveled, I have to exit the car into a walker or wheelchair. Do you remember which sensory symptoms were helped?

It helps me get a better sleep compared to other medication. It also helps with pain and nausea. I do not like the high either so one strain has low thc and another no thc, so we will see.

Cort, thanks so much for the translation on the medical studies and papers. You turn research speak into patient understanding.

tatt

haven't tried marijuana but research shows it's an effective treatment for several things. It's good for nausea and if I had access to medical marijuana I might try it. I know someone who developed pychiatric illness believed to be caused by its use so would have to think hard about that

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources