ME/CFS is the Opposite of Depression?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Alan Light and his team at the University of Utah looked at the gene expression of people with ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, people with both, people with depression who respond to treatment and people who are not responding to treatment. They found that 34 genes could be clustered into four groups of biological factors categorized by function 1) purinergic and cellular modulators, 2) neuronal growth and immune function, 3) nociception and stress mediators, 4) energy and mitochondrial function.

The first and third (purinergic and cellular modulator, nociception/stress) were associated with ME/CFS but not FM..It was kind of strange to see that nociception genes were not upregulated in FM. The really interesting thing was that CFS and depression were associated with the same two clusters but in opposite ways. ME/CFS was linked to increased expression of those genes while depression was associated with decreased expression.

I'm not sure how well this study turned out actually. Have to look in to it more.

Folk

One thing I always found out ridiculous about the CFS and FMS "symptoms" was the "lack of motivation".

Patients with those diseases have excess of motivation. You throw lack of motivation in someone as sick as this and you have suicide.

You have to really enjoy life to endure what we do.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources