Medical Marijuana - Opportunities and Barriers: An ME/FM and FM Perspective

The Medical Marijuana Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS Poll

• I don't have access to medical marijuana in my state.

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • I have access to it in my state and I've tried it and it was helpful

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I have access and have tried it and it was not helpful

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I have access but haven't found a doctor to prescribe it

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I have access but it's too expensive

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have access but am confused by the variety of choices

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have access but don't think it fits my symptoms

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have access but am not interested

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have access but have not tried it yet

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • If an FDA approved drug was available I would probably try it

Votes: 19 27.9%

• Total voters

Grace2U

I just made an appt to see the doctor at "Florida Center for Integrative Health" in Jacksonville. They actually compound the Cannibis for their patients. That surprised me! The initial visit is $150. (Less than 1/2 the cost for CTI.)

Grace2U

Just yesterday made an appt with doctor at Florida Intergrative Health in Jacksonville, Florida. As long as you can provide sufficient medical records and are accepted after following the exam, you are offered a compounded cannibanoid right there on site :) Leaving with a compounded product in hand is aweSome......highly significant in Florida! Can't wait to see how it goes. $150 for the exam. I have been taking Norco 10/325 for many years . When I bake my special brownies I can reduce the opioids in half! I Praise The Lord for including it as part of His Glorious Creation! ⭐️

I go the 21st, of next xmonth.so I'll post when I return

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Just yesterday made an appt with doctor at Florida Intergrative Health in Jacksonville, Florida. As long as you can provide sufficient medical records and are accepted after following the exam, you are offered a compounded cannibanoid right there on site :) Leaving with a compounded product in hand is aweSome......highly significant in Florida! Can't wait to see how it goes. $150 for the exam. I have been taking Norco 10/325 for many years . When I bake my special brownies I can reduce the opioids in half! I Praise The Lord for including it as part of His Glorious Creation! ⭐️

Cutting opioids in half by baking your own brownies :hungry: - that's great Gloria - congratulations :)

Folk

I don't have access in my state/country. Not legally.
But I'm thinking of getting it somehow. I know they teach how to make homemade oil, but that doesn't separate the THC.
And Marijuana was the cause of my worst drug experiences... even though I tried much harder stuff sometime ago. So gotta be medical one.

SuZeeQ

That's one of the problems Fdotx - I don't know the strains. I don't know what types of candy work for who...It appears to take some work to figure out what works - that of course can take some money that some folks don't have. Since I imagine that the brands are local - that throws another factor in there.

I would love it if someone or some group of people could produced a guide to what seems to work best. I imagine that we could find what constituents seem to work best. Anyone up for that?

Cort, I have severe ME. I use cannabis as a medicine. I am on a long road of research and self experimentation to not only manage symptoms but to manage the disease.

The approach taken in Australia is different to that of the US so learned different techniques/tools. I think my experience may be useful for others with similar patho-physiologies. I would like to be involved in a guide, but would need help communicating. Perhaps place where people like me can put short thoughts, disconnected experiences, etc. Perhaps where someone with a functioning brain help make sense of the disconnectedness? Or does that already exist. Sorry, but if I go off this page to find it I'll never find it AND also never make it back here.

I hear you ask, 'If cannabis were so great why would I need help to communicate?' Because I started at such a bad place, and it takes years to figure it work out via trial and error. No tests on me, no tests to see if my endocannabinoids are normal levels, no tests for the weed. Just diy tests to determine what works and what doesn't. Helps to understanding how the endocannabinoid system (eCS) works, what it does, in-vitro and in-vivo (as much as we can know). Then marry that information with anecdotal evidence from those that are managing their severe neuro-immune diseases such as MS. JaneDro420 is sharing her journey with 2nd Progressive MS on YouTube. Would put a link

According to the research, the eCS is involved in neuroprotection, neuroregeneration, modulates the immune system, maintains homeostasis, and can cross blood-brain barrier and do its business there. CB1 receptors are all over the body but appear more concentrated in the CNS (because the nerves are more concentrated there I suspect). CB2 receptors all over the body including CNS but more concentrated in the spleen and lymph nodes. I wonder if they are in the lymph system recently found in the brain? Other receptors and neurotransmitters have been and continue to be found.

My suggestion for @fdotx, and others who are very sensitive to change, is to start as I was taught, with very dilute non-decarboxilated (raw unheated) cannabis tincture. The cannabis plant does not produce THC, it produces THC acid (THCa). THCa is non-psychoactive. Humans make THC by heating THCa via smoking, vaping, cooking, etc. No special strain required. THCa seems to work similarly to CBD with seizures. Very dilute alcohol tincture. Dilute to where many would consider it to be ineffective. But NOT homeopathic type dilution. Your body will slowly store the cannabinoids in your adipose tissue. When adipose tissue is saturated then cannabinoids will become available for receptors. It is a slow and gentle start. Drops under tongue morning and night. Gradually increasing dosage. Later you can experiment with psychoactive tinctures, edibles, vaping, strains, etc.

The first change I noticed in my health was 2 months after starting the dilute tincture. For 30 years, 3 effin' decades, every single time I travelled any distance from home, I would get terrible respiratory infections. I always carried and took (if needed) 2 courses of Augmentin Forte. And it was always needed... Except this time. I carried the antibiotics and forgot to take them. No need.

Be aware that cannabis will adjust your physiological baseline. Other medications you take may need adjusting after starting cannabinoid therapy. My experience was with diabetes. Was taking meds for Type 2 diabetes. don't remember which. Started to feel uncomfortable, a bit yuck, each time I took a blood sugar pill. Started to forget to take the pills. So I stopped taking them altogether. Told doctor next visit. Had blood tests.

Reason I felt yuck taking the pills was because I was no longer diabetic. Medication to reduce blood sugar perhaps not best practice when blood sugar is normal. ;). That does not mean my diabetes is cured, just that it is being managed by a powerful and effective medicine. And two medications were not required.

Ok, so I got on a role with this post. Probably should have posted elsewhere. But you communicate when you can. Take advantage of, don't interrupt thoughts flowing. Doesn't happen often. Cort, perhaps if useful information here perhaps you can place where it should go.

I have come a long way in 2 years experimenting. And moved well beyond the regime I described above, the one I started with. But estimate another two years of research and self-experimention to find optimum dose, and cannabinoid/terpinoid profiles for my pathophysiology. I do not expect to be cured. After 30 years with no diagnosis and no treatment, i suspect there is too much permanent damage. But, I have severe ME and I was able to write this... as jumbled as it likely is.

I would love to share more and learn from others on the same path. If someone can take me by the hand and put me where I can write. I think I need for someone to organise a writing spot for me. Then provide a link to said spot. So I don't need to think beyond writing what is in my head. Cort, is that possible? I saw links in your blog, but tend to get lost when follow links. Forget why I am there, get overwhelmed by fonts and choices, etc.

Cort, thank you for this opportunity to connect. Apologies for such long reply. Have problems stopping once get started. :)

SuZeeQ

Helps to understanding how the endocannabinoid system (eCS) works, what it does, in-vitro and in-vivo (as much as we can know). Then marry that information with anecdotal evidence from those that are managing their severe neuro-immune diseases such as MS. JaneDro420 is sharing her journey with 2nd Progressive MS on YouTube. Would put a link

Forgot to mention observational studies such as Dr taskin's (I think his name is) 30 year study of mouth throat lung cancers and tobacco and cannabis smoking.

Jane Dro shares her story of MS in response to a request by a subscriber. A long video 1hr 18min. She has three main themes that she sticks to but it is generally unscripted. Broadly, the first 30 min - Her journey with MS from discovery to when she reached the end of what conventional medicine could provide. Next 20 min - Her journey with MS and cannabis. Final minutes - What I would describe as the positive side-effects of cannabinoid therapy.

Learning from the medical weedtube community. Lived experience has value.
Cheers,

Cort

Staff member
Cort, I have severe ME. I use cannabis as a medicine. I am on a long road of research and self experimentation to not only manage symptoms but to manage the disease.

The approach taken in Australia is different to that of the US so learned different techniques/tools. I think my experience may be useful for others with similar patho-physiologies. I would like to be involved in a guide, but would need help communicating. Perhaps place where people like me can put short thoughts, disconnected experiences, etc. Perhaps where someone with a functioning brain help make sense of the disconnectedness? Or does that already exist. Sorry, but if I go off this page to find it I'll never find it AND also never make it back here.

I hear you ask, 'If cannabis were so great why would I need help to communicate?' Because I started at such a bad place, and it takes years to figure it work out via trial and error. No tests on me, no tests to see if my endocannabinoids are normal levels, no tests for the weed. Just diy tests to determine what works and what doesn't. Helps to understanding how the endocannabinoid system (eCS) works, what it does, in-vitro and in-vivo (as much as we can know). Then marry that information with anecdotal evidence from those that are managing their severe neuro-immune diseases such as MS. JaneDro420 is sharing her journey with 2nd Progressive MS on YouTube. Would put a link

According to the research, the eCS is involved in neuroprotection, neuroregeneration, modulates the immune system, maintains homeostasis, and can cross blood-brain barrier and do its business there. CB1 receptors are all over the body but appear more concentrated in the CNS (because the nerves are more concentrated there I suspect). CB2 receptors all over the body including CNS but more concentrated in the spleen and lymph nodes. I wonder if they are in the lymph system recently found in the brain? Other receptors and neurotransmitters have been and continue to be found.

My suggestion for @fdotx, and others who are very sensitive to change, is to start as I was taught, with very dilute non-decarboxilated (raw unheated) cannabis tincture. The cannabis plant does not produce THC, it produces THC acid (THCa). THCa is non-psychoactive. Humans make THC by heating THCa via smoking, vaping, cooking, etc. No special strain required. THCa seems to work similarly to CBD with seizures. Very dilute alcohol tincture. Dilute to where many would consider it to be ineffective. But NOT homeopathic type dilution. Your body will slowly store the cannabinoids in your adipose tissue. When adipose tissue is saturated then cannabinoids will become available for receptors. It is a slow and gentle start. Drops under tongue morning and night. Gradually increasing dosage. Later you can experiment with psychoactive tinctures, edibles, vaping, strains, etc.

The first change I noticed in my health was 2 months after starting the dilute tincture. For 30 years, 3 effin' decades, every single time I travelled any distance from home, I would get terrible respiratory infections. I always carried and took (if needed) 2 courses of Augmentin Forte. And it was always needed... Except this time. I carried the antibiotics and forgot to take them. No need.

Be aware that cannabis will adjust your physiological baseline. Other medications you take may need adjusting after starting cannabinoid therapy. My experience was with diabetes. Was taking meds for Type 2 diabetes. don't remember which. Started to feel uncomfortable, a bit yuck, each time I took a blood sugar pill. Started to forget to take the pills. So I stopped taking them altogether. Told doctor next visit. Had blood tests.

Reason I felt yuck taking the pills was because I was no longer diabetic. Medication to reduce blood sugar perhaps not best practice when blood sugar is normal. ;). That does not mean my diabetes is cured, just that it is being managed by a powerful and effective medicine. And two medications were not required.

Ok, so I got on a role with this post. Probably should have posted elsewhere. But you communicate when you can. Take advantage of, don't interrupt thoughts flowing. Doesn't happen often. Cort, perhaps if useful information here perhaps you can place where it should go.

I have come a long way in 2 years experimenting. And moved well beyond the regime I described above, the one I started with. But estimate another two years of research and self-experimention to find optimum dose, and cannabinoid/terpinoid profiles for my pathophysiology. I do not expect to be cured. After 30 years with no diagnosis and no treatment, i suspect there is too much permanent damage. But, I have severe ME and I was able to write this... as jumbled as it likely is.

I would love to share more and learn from others on the same path. If someone can take me by the hand and put me where I can write. I think I need for someone to organise a writing spot for me. Then provide a link to said spot. So I don't need to think beyond writing what is in my head. Cort, is that possible? I saw links in your blog, but tend to get lost when follow links. Forget why I am there, get overwhelmed by fonts and choices, etc.

Cort, thank you for this opportunity to connect. Apologies for such long reply. Have problems stopping once get started. :)
Thanks SuzeeQ - I will be in touch. Congratulations on your improvement and thanks for sharing...

Justarose123

I do have access to it in Rhode Island but am afraid to try it, I've never been a pot lover always made me paranoid when I was young. As someone with severe anxiety issues I don't see how it would help more, and can't imagine it giving anyone energy as I remember it always made me feel like a slug. Laugh out load
Besides if it does cost more forger it ..I can't even afford the hormones I need to replace for my Hypopituitarism..that is if I could find a encronogist who knows how to treat it correctly. Best of luck for who it does help...I do believe everyone that needs it should have access to it, Rita

Susan Casal

I do have access to it in Rhode Island but am afraid to try it, I've never been a pot lover always made me paranoid when I was young. As someone with severe anxiety issues I don't see how it would help more, and can't imagine it giving anyone energy as I remember it always made me feel like a slug. Laugh out load
Besides if it does cost more forger it ..I can't even afford the hormones I need to replace for my Hypopituitarism..that is if I could find a encronogist who knows how to treat it correctly. Best of luck for who it does help...I do believe everyone that needs it should have access to it, Rita
Yes, many people get paranoia or anxiety taking the high THC strains. The high CBD strains actually counteract that!
Since a few people have asked for ideas for strains I'll share my experience. Personally, I did not do well with strains that are basically all THC or all CBD. The strains that have a blend but contain more CBD than THC are the best for pain relief, anti-inflammatory, anxiety relief, clear thinking,, and energy. My favorite for day is Harlequin. My favorite at night is a blend of Harle-Tsu and Blue City Diesel. Harlequin has a 5-2 ratio of cbd/thc. My night combo comes out at about 2-1 cbd/thc. It makes me really relaxed and sleepy. I couldn't use it daytime! I tell my family to not ask me or tell me anything important since I may not remember later! But the daytime Harlequin helps you think clearly and focus.
I make cannabis oil using coconut oil. I quit making brownies etc and simply take a teaspoon dose.
Good luck everyone!

Cort

Staff member
My experience jives with the other comment. I stopped smoking dope in college because it made me paranoid - so I really worried about that - but oddly enough the MM candy I tried calmed me down significantly. My anxiety and rushing mind and body sensations dropped dramatically. I don't have access to it now but it was good.....

I would try - just take a little nibble of some candy and see how it goes. It might be good!

San Diego

My response was not a given option in the survey.

I reside in a state that has not yet legalized the medical cannabis, but have ordered organic medical marijuana online with no problem. My interest began when I came across CTI (Cannabinoid Therapy Institte) and forwarded a few of my medical records which resulted in approval to see the doctor. Following an exam and discussion of my medical history, I received an "Official Physician Medical Necessity Form", indicating an allowed quantity of THC/CBD oil cannabis product corresponding to 75 hybrid cannabis plants.

Due to my reluctance to trust the make-up of the oil that was available on-line at the time, I elected to purchase the organic marijuana and made brownies. I was able to reduce my pain medication significantly and sleep better :) This was in May. Although I liked the outcome, I had to stop temporarily because I was scheduled for additional testing which included blood work. (Remember, medicinal marijuana is not yet legal in Florida).

I do plan to return to using it after the next several tests/appointments are behind me.

CTI has passed the baton to Florida Integrative Health, which will also compound a custom formulation of cannabinoid medicine for patients.

It is predicted the medical use of marijuana will be legalized here in Florida within the next 9 months.

No prescription is necessary to purchase the marijuana on-line....anyone can. That surprised me!
Hi Grace.

May I ask how you are doing with cannabis now? I, too, am in Florida and wish to try it, but am waiting for it to become legal. I have tried everything for pain and muscle cramping/crawling to no avail. It sounds like perhaps it is already legal in some cases??? In the meantime, I have used high dose Hemp-based CBD Oil which helps with sleep.

It looks like the CTI has shut it’s doors and I cannot find Florida Integrative Health online. I’d appreciate any help finding them.

Feel free to PM me if you wish. Thanks so very much!

Jacksonville happens to be quite convenient for me ;) If you could please steer me in the right direction I’d be forever grateful!

Last edited:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources