Mitochondrial Modifying Nutrients in Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A 16-week Open-Label Pilot S

Remy

Administrator
Introduction
Recent evidence suggests that mitochondrial dysfunction may play a role in the pathophysiology of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). We undertook a pilot investigation of a combination of nutraceutical nutrient compounds which are involved in mitochondrial function and energy generation, to assess their efficacy in improving symptoms of CFS. An open-label design was employed as CFS is largely treatment-resistant with limited placebo-response.
Methods

A 16-week open-label trial of a nutraceutical combination (primary nutrients: Coenzyme Q10, Alpha lipoic acid, Acetyl-l-carnitine, N-acetyl cysteine, B Vitamins, in addition to co-factors) was undertaken in Ten patients with CFS. Fatigue symptoms, mood and general health were assessed at each 4-week time point over 16 weeks. Of the ten patients (7 female, 3 male) with a mean age of 36.3, eight completed the trial.
Results

Linear mixed model analysis demonstrated a significant improvement in fatigue symptoms across treatment period on the Chalder Fatigue Scale (p < 0.001). Specific improvements were found in tiredness, weakness, feeling sleepy or drowsy, as well as in sleep, and clinician-reported symptom-improvement. No benefit was observed in mood or other functional domains. No serious adverse events were noted.
Conclusion

These preliminary findings suggest that a combination nutraceutical compound of mitochondrial agents may improve CFS symptoms. Further investigation is warranted in a larger double- blind RCT.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212958817300915

IrisRV

I don't recognize any of those researchers. I wonder if they used a good definition or just had a bunch of tired people. I'm always suspicious of biomedical research on CFS coming out of depts of psychiatry, but this doesn't look bad.

8-10 patients is a pretty sad sample set, but if the only conclusion is "Further investigation is warranted", they're not over-selling their research, which is good.

That's a very common combination of supplements for PWME, so I don't know what we've learned, but more biomedical research in the ME/CFS research record is generally positive.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources