Mold/Mast Cell Activation Recovery Story.

Remy

Administrator
A new interview with Dana Howell on The Low Histamine Chef.

Full transcript and audio link to be found here.

According to Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, a leading biotoxin researcher with a medical degree from Duke University, Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS), is the result of chronic inflammation produced by exposure to biotoxins (toxins produced from living organisms) that come from mold (mycotoxins), tick-borne infections like Babesia, dinoflagellates, blue-green algae, some reef fish, and the brown recluse spider. The most common trigger of CIRS is usually the combination of mycotoxins, bacteria, VOCs, chemicals, and other damaging pathogens found within water damaged buildings [1].

Dr. Theoharides at Tufts, who has published nearly 400 peer reviewed papers and is in the top 5% of most quoted authors in pharmacological and immunological journals, has long spoken of the link between mold exposure and mast cell activation [2]. Activation of mast cells would release histamine, along with other inflammatory molecules into the blood stream.

Today I’m interviewing Dana Howell, a patient who has healed herself from mold exposure and subsequent mast cell activation, through her research and with the help of Joe Cohen at Self Hacked.
 

Remy

Administrator
This interview mentions HLA-DR testing...this is genetic testing that Dr Shoemaker advocates to assess mold, Lyme, or multi susceptibility.

I do not even pretend to understand this well, but I think it is worth mentioning that Valentijn at PR makes a good case for this testing not actually being valid in the way that Shoemaker says. I would love to have her come and explain further, but here are her words in a nutshell.

His claims about HLA types are unsubstantiated by proper research. He claims correlations based on comparing the HLA types of his mold patients with international rates of HLA types, but that doesn't work because HLA is closely associated with ethnic origins, and most of his patients have very similar ethnic origins. In fact, if you do the math and compare his "bad" HLA types with HLA prevalence rates in North Americans, approximately 85% of all North Americans are highly susceptible to various substances.
Since the "dreaded" types were labeled that way due to comparing American mold patients with world-wide HLA types, the methodology was completely flawed and the outcome was useless. So there's basically no known relationship between those HLA types and susceptibility to mold.

It's possible that some HLA types are susceptible, but that can only be determined with proper research. If a doctor is going to use his local mold patients for that research, he needs to use local controls. And due to the high linkage of HLA type to ethnicity, ethnic matching of those controls is especially crucial.
As a comparison, the doctor could reach a similar erroneous conclusion by comparing the prevalence of blue eyes in his patients to the general prevalence of blue eyes around the world. Many of his patients will have brown eyes instead, but due to the even lower rates of blue eyes elsewhere, blue eyes will be about 10x more common in his mold patients than in the world population. But this does not mean that blue eyes make someone more susceptible to mold problems.

It's the same with HLA - it's a group of genetic variants closely tied to ethnicities. You can't reach any sensible conclusion by comparing the rates of ethnic features of a local sick population with the rates of ethnic features in an international healthy population. The results are completely meaningless.
 

Issie

Well-Known Member
I didn't do this test. But MMP9 on me was really high. That shows an issue with cytokines and a good possibility of mold. My VCS scores also showed issues. (Vcstest.com - is where I recommend testing this). Then, I have concrete proof of a mold issue with a thyroid biopsy. Yes, it can get in organs too. My latest exposure to mold in my parents house was the final insult for a major crash. Treating mold and doing other cleanses (parasite, liver etc) and treating my protozoa, is making a difference for me. I did do cholestyramine for 3 weeks. It was tough. I had constant headaches the whole time. Makes sense, as I have a meningioma that may be connected. I decided to use other alternative binders instead. But may do another round when I'm more toxic free.

Diet, and environment makes a difference. You have to get as clean, organic and sterile as possible. It's not something that happens over night. It's a process and journey worth taking.

I've found a really good organic body site that I recently ordered from. The products just make me feel clean, healthy and energized. The owner is a sweetheart who is eager to help us "sensitives". Check her site out. Revescent.com

Issie
 

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources

Top