Molecular Scissorhands Knocks Out Herpesviruses

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
The data presented in this study indicate the potential of the CRISPR/Cas9 system as a new therapeutic strategy to combat pathogenic human herpesviruses. The authors

The advances in medical technology are just incredible.

Take herpesviruses - the main viruses of interest in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM). Virtually everyone carries latent herpesviruses in their cells. When these viruses get reactivated they can cause major problems.

[fright]
Herpesviruses-sm.jpg
[/fright]Herpesviruses, for instance, are now being pegged as a likely cause of Alzheimer's. Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) causes cold sores, genital herpes and, if Dr. Pridgen is right, fibromyalgia. Varicella-zoster causes shingles, human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) is the most common viral cause of birth defects, and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) causes infectious mononucleosis, which commonly triggers ME/CFS, and increases one's risk of coming down with multiple sclerosis as well. It is also causes several different types of cancer.

Primitive Antivirals

The problem with the available anti-herpesvirus drugs is that they target the virus only when it starts replicating. They can't even find the bug when it's in in its latent stage, and have trouble finding it when a low-level infection is present. That means very long antiviral regimens for people with ME/CFS.

Plus when some drugs find an herpesvirus infected cell they simply kill the cells. That's fine for many cells but killing a neuron to get rid of a herpesvirus is apparently a bit like burning down a village to save it; it's not something that you want to do if you can avoid it

What we really need is an approach that can get after herpesviruses in their latent state and destroy them without damaging the cells they've infected. That sounds like wishful thinking but the future isn't what it used to be.

Molecular Scissorhands

In this study a Dutch team from the University Medical Center in Utrecht, The Netherlands,
tried to knock out three herpeviruses using genome editing process called CRISPR/Cas9. CRISPR/Cas9 is a part of the adaptive immune response developed by bacteria. It's able to get clipping sequences out of the DNA of pathogens. If it clips enough sequences out the pathogen dies. These Dutch researchers used "guide RNA" to target these molecular scissor on specific gene sequences in herpesviruses in the lab.

First they targeted several genes involved in replication of the herpes simplex (HSVI)and cytomegaloviruses. Then they went after several essential genes Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and HSVI uses to remain in its latent state.

[fleft]
Long_Beach_Comic_&_Horror_Con_2011_-_Edward_Scissorhands_(6301706636).jpg
[/fleft]They were able to completely stop all the herpesviruses from replicating and they were able to "clear"; i.e. snuff out up to 95% of the EBV genomes from the target areas. The researchers believe that further optimization of this approach may allow them to completely clear EBV from human cells.

The growth of new infectious HSV-1 was so effectively blocked that it resulted in a >106 drop in viral load. Perhaps because of the way HSV -1 is packaged, the researchers were unable to "clear" latent HSV-I infections, however.

There was a catch with HCMV as well. After eleven days in culture HCMV started to emerge again as the tricky virus learned to work around the gaps in the viruses DNA the CRISPR/Cas9 approach had produced. The researchers believe they can eliminate this problem targeting more genes.

This is clearly a potentially devastating and powerful new weapon in the fight against pathogens. Like any powerful weapon, however, it has the possibility of being a double-edged sword. If the CRISPR/Ca9 system got loose and started "editing" human genes, that would be bad news. It appears that some small of non-pathogen editing does occur but the researchers were unable to find evidence of it. They noted that much work had gone into ensuring that damaging editing does not happen.

I don't think that anyone before now has conceived of the possibility of actually completely eliminating these viruses in human.The effects of completely removing a group of viruses that humans have had such an intimate connection with are, of course, unclear.

This was basically step one; it took place in the lab - no humans, mice or other laboratory animals involved. The next step will be creating a delivery system that efficiently delivers the editing machinery to infected cells.

Last edited:

Edie

This may seem very mediocre compared to high tech medical research, but I've got to tell you about a product that I 've been on for the last few years called BETA GLUCANS. It is suppose to crack the outer layer of a virus so that the immune system can get at it and destroy it. I got sick with 2 viruses in the last 2 years and thought: This is just not working. I then switched companies last March for a preparation that is 2 and a half times stronger.

It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that the big lump and pain in my throat, that had been there for the last 20 years was gone! Also, whenever I was hit with a bit more stress, the cold sores would pop up. I have not had a cold sore as well since starting on the new Beta Glucans.

I'll give out the name of this product, but CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE USING, AS THIS IS AN IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOSTER, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE AUTOIMMUNE ILLNESSES etc. SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.

JARROW FORMULAS BETA GLUCAN ( B1,3/B1,6) an extract of the Baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) cell walls. I will post more info on this product later tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edie

This may seem very mediocre compared to high tech medical research, but I've got to tell you about a product that I 've been on for the last few years called BETA GLUCANS. It is suppose to crack the outer layer of a virus so that the immune system can get at it and destroy it. I got sick with 2 viruses in the last 2 years and thought: This is just not working. I then switched companies last March for a preparation that is 2 and a half times stronger. It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that the big lump and pain in my throat, that had been there for the last 20 years was gone! Also, whenever I was hit with a bit more stress, the cold sores would pop up. I have not had a cold sore as well since starting on the new Beta Glucans. I'll give out the name of this product, but CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE USING, AS THIS IS AN IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOSTER, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE AUTOIMMUNE ILLNESSES etc. SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. JARROW FORMULAS BETA GLUCAN ( B1,3/B1,6) an extract of the Baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) cell walls. I will post more info on this product later tonight.
MORE ON BETA GLUCANS, Supports the immune system by stimulating NK cells, granulocytes, monocytes and macrophages. After oral consumption, Beta GLucans are delivered to bone marrow granulocytes by macrophages traveling lymphatic circulation. A little bit over my head, but it works for me!

This Beta Glucan is protected by US patent 5,576,015 and it has demonstrated immunogenic activity in clinical trials.

Suggested usage 1 per day on empty stomach with a full glass of water. Bottle of 60 caps lasts me 2 months. Price $24.29 US at www.totalhealthdiscountvitamins.com or phone 1-800-283-2833.

If you are thinking of trying this product, bring this info to your MD as he/she has probably never heard of it, being a natural health supplement. For more information GOOGLE Beta Glucans.

I almost forgot to tell you that the lymph nodes under both sides of my chin have also shrunk to normal, although still a bit sensitive to the touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This may seem very mediocre compared to high tech medical research, but I've got to tell you about a product that I 've been on for the last few years called BETA GLUCANS. It is suppose to crack the outer layer of a virus so that the immune system can get at it and destroy it. I got sick with 2 viruses in the last 2 years and thought: This is just not working. I then switched companies last March for a preparation that is 2 and a half times stronger.

It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that the big lump and pain in my throat, that had been there for the last 20 years was gone! Also, whenever I was hit with a bit more stress, the cold sores would pop up. I have not had a cold sore as well since starting on the new Beta Glucans.

I'll give out the name of this product, but CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE USING, AS THIS IS AN IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOSTER, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE AUTOIMMUNE ILLNESSES etc. SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.

JARROW FORMULAS BETA GLUCAN ( B1,3/B1,6) an extract of the Baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) cell walls. I will post more info on this product later tonight.
Whatever works! It would be much better to find something you can buy online.

Thanks for passing this on and good luck with it. I had never heard of Beta Glucans before. It's certainly at a reasonable price. :)

Edie

Whatever works! It would be much better to find something you can buy online.

Thanks for passing this on and good luck with it. I had never heard of Beta Glucans before. It's certainly at a reasonable price. :)
CORT, I just googled 'pharmaceutical grade Beta Glucans . MUST SEE www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/betamax425.html
500mgs 99.4 pure Beta glucan called BETAMAX 500 $54.99 US for a bottle of 60. On website reported to us that BETAMAX RESOLVED THEIR DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS AND FEVER THAT ONLY INTRA-VENUS ANTIBIOTICS CAN RESOLVE!!! IT ALSO ATTACKS A VARIETY OF FUNGLE, VIRAL & PARASITIC INFECTIONS & TUMORS!!! I have an appointment with my ND in 3 weeks and will discuss this with him. Suggested dose is 1 or 2 a day N0 KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS

Last edited:

Judith

CORT, I just googled 'pharmaceutical grade Beta Glucans . MUST SEE www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/betamax425.html
500mgs 99.4 pure Beta glucan called BETAMAX 500 $54.99 US for a bottle of 60. On website reported to us that BETAMAX RESOLVED THEIR DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS AND FEVER THAT ONLY INTRA-VENUS ANTIBIOTICS CAN RESOLVE!!! IT ALSO ATTACKS A VARIETY OF FUNGLE, VIRAL & PARASITIC INFECTIONS & TUMORS!!! I have an appointment with my ND in 3 weeks and will discuss this with him. Suggested dose is 1 or 2 a day N0 KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS
Hah! Now that I went and ordered the Jarrow beta-glucan! :p But that's OK. I prefer to start lower dosage of anything. When I start getting what feels like a sore throat, cold or just feeling sick outside my usual symptoms, I take ProHealth's Transfer Factor Essentials, and just an "as needed" dose usually kicks whatever was affecting me. It does have low-dose beta glucan in it, among many other things. I cannot take it regularly though. The IP-6 in it seems to lower my BP. I read a small book about the wonders of beta-glucan many years ago. Thanks for the info, Edie. I'll give the Jarrow formula a try! Judith

Judith

The advances in medical technology are just incredible.

This was basically step one; it took place in the lab - no humans, mice or other laboratory animals involved. The next step will be creating a delivery system that efficiently delivers the editing machinery to infected cells.
(Figured out how to shorten the quote.) :)

Hey, Cort, this is great news. I've always felt frustrated by the high titers of "latent" viruses in my system, especially CMV. The doctor in Houston who ran all the blood titers on me found all kinds of things, but he said the CMV at 250 was really high. Whatever "____ovir" he gave me over three months while monitoring my liver did nothing, so he told me we wouldn't bother trying to treat it further. If a viral scissorhands is developed, that will be another important step forward for so many people! Judith

Judith

Hey, Cort, this is great news. I've always felt frustrated by the high titers of "latent" viruses in my system, especially CMV. The doctor in Houston who ran all the blood titers on me found all kinds of things, but he said the CMV at 250 was really high. Whatever "____ovir" he gave me over three months while monitoring my liver did nothing, so he told me we wouldn't bother trying to treat it further. If a viral scissorhands is developed, that will be another important step forward for so many people!
Sorry, Cort. I didn't mean to have the ENTIRE article re-quoted!! I'm not used to this forum yet. But now, I know what I SHOULDN'T do! :-o Judith

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources