More than one dose of Vitamin C daily?

Abrin

Has anyone found any benefit with taking several doses of Vitamin C during the day?

I have found that there does seem to be some benefit with taking one dose of 1000mg of Vitamin C daily but because I am on a limited budget I wanted to check in with you all to see what your opinions are on if taking several doses a day would be more helpful.

Edie

Has anyone found any benefit with taking several doses of Vitamin C during the day?

I have found that there does seem to be some benefit with taking one dose of 1000mg of Vitamin C daily but because I am on a limited budget I wanted to check in with you all to see what your opinions are on if taking several doses a day would be more helpful.
Hi ABRIN, I take a 1000mg time-release Vit C with Bioflavonoids ever 12 hours. The flavonoids are suppose to give you 35% better absorption. I found a great website that rates the quality of supplements www.labdoor.com I take a lot of vitamins as I cannot digest my food properly and found a very noticeable positive outcome when I first started taking them, as you have. I would also suggest a good quality multivitamin daily. Hope this helps.

Edie

I don't think more is always better, especially in the case of antioxidants. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2952083/

I'd try to use food over supplements as much as possible in this case.
Our government here in Canada has advised us to take a multivitamin every day. I've read many times that our soil has been depleted of nutrients affecting the quality of our food and I'm sure that poor diet choices come into play as well. You can almost bet on the fact that overwhelming health costs are depleting tax dollars and that is a big concern for our government and also for those who are paying out those taxes. Preventative care should be of top priority, but unfortunately, our regular medical professionals have hardly had any education regarding proper nutrition and the consequence of chronic illness in the future. My MD could not recognize B vitamin deficiency when it was starring him in the face (my face) My ND caught that on my very first visit.

Abrin

I find eating really tiring but you do bring up a good point. If I want to try to have more Vitamin C during the day other than what I get from the supplement than maybe it might be a good idea for me to try to find some sort of high vitamin C snack so I could have the best of both worlds.

Learner

I don't think more is always better, especially in the case of antioxidants. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2952083/

For many of us, even on a high quality, nutrient dense diet, its impossible to get enough of the nutrients that our compromised bodies need just from food.

The article says that high doses of isolated antioxidants can be bad, that antioxidants in high doses can have pro-oxidant properties, and that maintaining a balance is good.

"The Antioxidant Miracle" by Lester Packer who ran the maverick antioxidant lab at UC Berkeley for many years, gives a good overview of the antioxidant network, where we need a balance of various antioxidants working together synergistically.

It's the studies that have people taking high doses of only one antioxidant that show problems - this is because the antioxidant network gets out of balance and the antioxidant in question becomes a pro-oxidant, which can start to cause damage.

That said, there are times when you want the pro-oxidant effect, like the high dose IV vitamin C which was a mainstay of my successful stage 3 cancer treatment.

Linus Pauling had discovered this, but the Mayo Clinic ran their own study and decided it didn't work. The trouble was, they used high dose ORAL vitamin C, not IV as Pauling had. Mark Levine, at NIH, subsequently found that there's a limit to what can be absorbed by the intestines, around 2g at a time, and taking more will give you diarrhea, but won't increase your blood levels.

IVC is dosed between 50-100g and it goes through a couple of conversions to make H2O2 where the extra O then "rusts" the cancer (or viruses and bacteria).

My doctor currently has me on 4g a day, for immune support, taken 2g in the morning and 2g in the afternoon. For balance, I also take alpha lipoic acid, vitamins A & E, glutathione producing nutrients, selenium, CoQ10, and I eat a lot of blue, purple & red vegetables and fruits.

So, it depends on what you're trying to do with the vitamin C...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources