NAC treatment

After reading about the NAC small trial by Shungu I am starting a 4 week treatment with Pharma NAC (1800 mgs per day). I am also starting Gundry's Vital Reds. I have had post lyme treatment syndrome and ME/CFS for 22 years. We'll see how this goes. I'll post any progress.
Anyone else try this yet?

Remy

Administrator
After reading about the NAC small trial by Shungu I am starting a 4 week treatment with Pharma NAC (1800 mgs per day). I am also starting Gundry's Vital Reds. I have had post lyme treatment syndrome and ME/CFS for 22 years. We'll see how this goes. I'll post any progress.
I did! I did not notice any difference changing from the tablet form of NAC to the effervescent though so I switched back after 2 boxes. Unfortunately, NAC isn't a cure for me, but I still include it in my supplement regime because of all the good things it is supposed to do. Hope springs eternal!

Let us know how it goes for you...:)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Really interested to hear how it works for you Jim.

Even if you don't notice many effects it sounds like it something good to keep taking. Shungu showed that it actually increased GSH levels in the brain and I think that it reduced lactate levels (???)

Even if you don't notice many effects it sounds like it something good to keep taking. Shungu showed that it actually increased GSH levels in the brain and I think that it reduced lactate levels (???)

Hi Cort,
Thanks for your response. On the third day now, it seems to have exacerbated the fatigue and brain fog symptoms. I'm hoping that is simply an initial reaction--perhaps a herx or detox type phenomenon. I also started the Vital Reds at the same time. (I notice that Gundy's Vital Reds solution contains folate which I understand can be problematic for those of us with MTHFR and COMT homozygous mutations). I am going to stop the Vital Reds and only proceed with the NAC to better isolate its effects. I'll keep you posted.

PamelaG

Hi Jim,

I had same reaction when I started NAC. I stopped it thinking I had sulphur issues. I later tried it again and kept taking it despite the
side effects. I really believe at this point it's helping me. I have less fatigue. I have been taking capsules 900mg pm
and 600mg timed release am. I was getting a painful stomach when I would take it but it has stopped.

I didn't know Gundry had CFS protocol?

Hi Jim,

I had same reaction when I started NAC. I stopped it thinking I had sulphur issues. I later tried it again and kept taking it despite the
side effects. I really believe at this point it's helping me. I have less fatigue. I have been taking capsules 900mg pm
and 600mg timed release am. I was getting a painful stomach when I would take it but it has stopped.

I didn't know Gundry had CFS protocol?

Hi Pamela,
Thanks for your comment. Its good to hear that you were able to fight through the initial adverse effects from the NAC and eventually get some improvement . That gives me hope. I have read that NAC can cause initial "flu like symptoms". For me it just made all of the Post Lyme CFS symptoms worse, but I'm sticking with it.
I don't think Gundry has a CFS protocol. I just decided to try his Vital Reds as it looked like it might help.

Edie

I had NAC IVs a few years ago given by my ND. It's suppose to replenish Glutathione, our body's main
detoxifier.

I had NAC IVs a few years ago given by my ND. It's suppose to replenish Glutathione, our body's main
detoxifier.
Yes, its a precursor to GSH (glutathione) a potent antioxidant. Did you improve from the NAC IV treatments? Did you feel worse initially?

Edie

Yes, its a precursor to GSH (glutathione) a potent antioxidant. Did you improve from the NAC IV treatments? Did you feel worse initially?
Those IV's happened so many years ago and I can't recall how I felt. At the time, I was dealing with so many problems with so many symptoms that I didn't know what was up and what was down. It took a while for my brain to clear up to the point where I could tell exactly what benefit I was receiving from the many treatments my ND gave me that eventually gave me my life back.

)

I just finished the 4 week trial of 1800 mg per day Pharma NAC (effervescent NAC). I cannot say that it produced any marked improvement. No worse-no better (maybe slightly better).

I have read several very recent studies on the effect of acetate supplementation on neuro-inflammation and the epigenetic problems associated with Post Lyme Disease Treatment Syndrome. It seems to be an effective treatment. I wrote to the researcher at University of North Dakota who said that the acetate they used is glycerol triacetate, also known as Triacetin (which is actually used as a food additive). It has also been used experimentally as a treatment for Canavan's disease. I can post links to the articles if anyone is interested. It sounds promising. Does anyone know where to get food grade Triacetin?

Thanks

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources