NCNED Does It Again - Another Positive Gene Study Highlights Issues with Nervous System Genes

Discussion in 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Research' started by Cort, May 29, 2015.

1. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

-DNA-Background.jpg
    They looked at nine genes associated with neuronal and neuromuscular transmission. Again - a small number of genes popped out - just two - suggesting they've really found something....

2. Ket

Ket New Member

3. Ket

Ket New Member

I hope it's ok, I've cut and pasted a bit from the article from the reddit link above:

Based on the Griffith University team's finding, Professor Staines, when asked what sort of classification ME/CFS should now fall under, says: "Because these receptors are expressed absolutely everywhere it is an illness that affects all body systems, so it could be seen as immunological, neurological, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, genitourinary and skeletomuscular…Our sense is this is likely to be an ion channel disease, but also an ACh receptor disease…therefore probably both…making it a unique problem for disease classification. Indeed some of these two receptor types are both anatomically and functionally linked. Our research suggests that CFS/ME is in fact an illness within a novel category of disease pathomechanism. The critical next step is to try to determine if these SNP anomalies actually do cause change in function of these receptors".

Cort likes this.
  4. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

That's great Ket! Thanks very much for passing that on.