New Ibuprofen with Arginine Proposed

Remy

Administrator
So...those chemists have been busy again, this time creating a new form of ibuprofen chemically bonded to arginine. This is supposed to ameliorate the cardiovascular side effects and allow for higher doses to be taken without side effects. (Ahem.)

Wonder if all this extra arginine will start provoking herpes outbreaks??

Move over aspirin, a new formulation of ibuprofen might prove to be a "wonder drug." In a research report published online in The FASEB Journal, scientists used mice and rats to show that ibuprofen arginate may allow people to take higher doses without the cardiovascular side effects that are associated with current formulations found in over the counter products. In addition to being better tolerated, ibuprofen arginate also is released into the bloodstream more rapidly than the current formulations, likely providing faster pain relief.

"While more experiments are required, our observations show that ibuprofen arginate provides, in one preparation, a COX-2 inhibitor and arginine supplement," said Jane A. Mitchell, Ph.D., a researcher involved in the work and Head of Cardiothoracic Pharmacology, Cardiothoracic Pharmacology and Vascular Biology Section at the National Heart and Lung Institute at the Institute of Cardiovascular Medicine and Science at the Imperial College in London, England. "Whilst remarkably simple, our findings are potentially game-changing in the pain medication arena."

The scientists used a range of approaches from experiments using single types of cells to whole laboratory animals in which blood pressure was measured. In the first approach, mouse cells were studied in dishes where the normal arginine was removed from the growth solution. They found that the arginine contained in ibuprofen arginine could work in exactly the same way that regular arginine works in cells. The second experiment involved blood vessels from mice and rats, to which an artificial compound to block the protective effects of the normal arginine contained in all tissues, was applied. In this experiment, ibuprofen arginine reversed the block and restored blood vessel function to normal levels. The third experimental approach involved measuring blood pressure in live rats and blocking the protective effects of normal arginine in the body, which caused an increase in blood pressure. Study results demonstrated that ibuprofen arginine worked just like regular arginine to restore blood pressure to normal levels. Arginine formulations of ibuprofen could act to negate the harmful cardiovascular consequences caused by high doses of these common anti-inflammatory painkillers.

"This is a nifty idea and the results are clear"," said Thoru Pederson, Ph.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "The potential for human use is attractive, not only for attenuating the cardiovascular risk, but also to the extent that this formulation may circumvent moving certain patients onto opioid painkillers, fraught with their own dangers."
Story Source:
Materials provided by Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.
Journal Reference:
  1. N. S. Kirkby, A. Tesfai, B. Ahmetaj-Shala, H. H. Gashaw, W. Sampaio, G. Etelvino, N. M. Leao, R. A. Santos, J. A. Mitchell. Ibuprofen arginate retains eNOS substrate activity and reverses endothelial dysfunction: implications for the COX-2/ADMA axis. The FASEB Journal, 2016; DOI: 10.1096/fj.201600647R

Paw

Interesting. I'm for anything that mitigates the negative impact of pain reducers. (Famotidine is supposed to help reduce stomach ulcers when combined with ibuprofen.)

BTW, my sense of the most up-to-date conclusions about the arginine/herpes connection is that it depends on the lysine/arginine ratio. I've been enjoying better sleep with nightly l-arginine (500 mg) along with l-lysine (750 mg).

But two days ago I found myself covered in the fine white powder of arginine while re-supplying my homemade capsules. Then, yesterday morning, I noticed my whole chest had suddenly broken out in a shingles-looking rash. Could be coincidentally, but I didn't consider the possible arginine connection until reading your post just now.

Remy

Administrator
Interesting. I'm for anything that mitigates the negative impact of pain reducers. (Famotidine is supposed to help reduce stomach ulcers when combined with ibuprofen.)

BTW, my sense of the most up-to-date conclusions about the arginine/herpes connection is that it depends on the lysine/arginine ratio. I've been enjoying better sleep with nightly l-arginine (500 mg) along with l-lysine (750 mg).

But two days ago I found myself covered in the fine white powder of arginine while re-supplying my homemade capsules. Then, yesterday morning, I noticed my whole chest had suddenly broken out in a shingles-looking rash. Could be coincidentally, but I didn't consider the possible arginine connection until reading your post just now.
That's really interesting to read about how that story all developed around lysine and arginine. I should have known it would be more nuanced than Lysine Good, Arginine Bad!

fmmama

I would be concerned for herpes sufferers too. Decreasing arginine containing foods and any supplement containing arginine has reduced the no.of my herpes simplex mouth lesions for years. Also using l-lysine regularly and increasing it during attacks.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources