New research: GERD could be immune-mediated

madie

Objective To evaluate histologic features of esophageal inflammation in acute GERD to study its pathogenesis.

The way I understood the study, it confirmed that PPIs lower stomach acid and control esophageal inflammation through that mechanism. What has shifted is the belief that regurgitated stomach acid directly causes the inflammation by burning the tissues. This is not true. The reflux triggers cytokine secretion, which causes inflammation.

I don't see this being immediately useful to people living with GERD. Hopefully eventually it will lead to better treatment than PPIs, which scare me.

bobby

an easier to read article about this from science daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160517191818.htm
For more than 80 years, it has been assumed that stomach acid backing up through the esophagus damaged the lining of the esophagus by causing chemical burns, but their research suggests that the damage in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) actually occurs through an inflammatory response prompted by the secretion of proteins called cytokines.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources