New Scientist Highlights Metabolic Issues - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
More good press! The press is taking a while to catch up to these finding but they are getting there.

Now its the New Scientist

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2121162-metabolic-switch-may-bring-on-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

How about this for a nice intro?

It’s as if a switch has been flicked. Evidence is mounting that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is caused by the body swapping to less efficient ways of generating energy.

See how ME has entered the equation now:

Also known as ME or myalgic encephalomyelitis, CFS affects some 250,000 people in the UK.

Nice and clear!

Instead, the cells of people with CFS stop making as much energy from sugar as usual, and start relying more on lower-yielding fuels, such as amino acids and fats.....

Together, this would explain both the shortness of energy, and why even mild exercise can be exhausting and painful....

Several studies have now hinted that defects in sugar burning can cause CFS, but there is still uncertainty over how exactly this is disrupted. However, a picture is emerging. Something makes the body switch from burning sugar to a far less efficient way of making energy.

The article quotes Naviaux, Fluge and Armstrong - lots of good stuff....Fluge and Mella are thinking the problem is at one enzyme complex; Armstrong and Naviaux as more than one. Check it out at the link above.

Rob Rainford

More good press! The press is taking a while to catch up to these finding but they are getting there.

Now its the New Scientist

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2121162-metabolic-switch-may-bring-on-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

How about this for a nice intro?

See how ME has entered the equation now:

Nice and clear!

The article quotes Naviaux, Fluge and Armstrong - lots of good stuff....Fluge and Mella are thinking the problem is at one enzyme complex; Armstrong and Naviaux as more than one. Check it out at the link above.

Thanks for the post and the link.

Here in the UK we are STILL being told EXERCISE via a PSYCHOLOGIST may help us. That's all the treatment there is.
The issue is still being dismissed among many GP's regardless of the evidence I've taken with me and the scientific facts that are online. But then they have a handful of departments that diagnose ME/CFS!!!

The uphill battle continues.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Thanks for the post and the link.

Here in the UK we are STILL being told EXERCISE via a PSYCHOLOGIST may help us. That's all the treatment there is.
The issue is still being dismissed among many GP's regardless of the evidence I've taken with me and the scientific facts that are online. But then they have a handful of departments that diagnose ME/CFS!!!

The uphill battle continues.
You guys have it rough out there! Good luck!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources