No nightmares in a while.

Folk

It's been a while since I stopped having nightmares and I hadn't even noticed that.
I used to have nightmares (or something close to it ) almost every night for as long as I can remember.
I'm taking Clonazepan to sleep, and have been developing some resistance so I had to increase the dose to 20 drops ( I started with 10 then 12 - 15 etc.).

I though to myself I would just use Ambien for a few nights so I could loose the resistance and go back to 10.
The first night I had a horrible nightmare. That kind which you wake up sweating and in fear/anger.
Before that I hadn't noticed how long it was since the last bad dream even though I've been through tough changes like ending a relationship (all I had realized was that I hadn't had a bad dream about that one subject).

I think it might be the Clonazepan at a high dose doing that, cause when I was at 10 drops I would stlll have bad dreams.

Upgrayedd

@Folk - I know lots of folks use klonopin for sleep, and I actually take small doses during the day (ala Dr. Cheney Protocol), but I don't think it's the best choice for sleep long term, especially if it's the only thing you are taking.

Have you tried any of the trycyclic antidepressants - trazodone, Elavil, doxepin? They have been very helpful for me and no nightmares. Some of them, like the Elavil, may give you vivid dreams, but mine have never been frightening. Trazodone is especially good at improving quality and duration of sleep for me.

Or antihistamines, like Benadryl or atarax?

Folk

@Folk - I know lots of folks use klonopin for sleep, and I actually take small doses during the day (ala Dr. Cheney Protocol), but I don't think it's the best choice for sleep long term, especially if it's the only thing you are taking.

Have you tried any of the trycyclic antidepressants - trazodone, Elavil, doxepin? They have been very helpful for me and no nightmares. Some of them, like the Elavil, may give you vivid dreams, but mine have never been frightening. Trazodone is especially good at improving quality and duration of sleep for me.

Or antihistamines, like Benadryl or atarax?
Yeah i take antihistamines daily for MCAS, they don't make me sleepy.

And from my previous experiences with antidepressants (trycyclic, duloxetine and stablon) I'll never get close to other antidepressant again :\

Is there any problem about konoplan other than creating resistance and having to increase the dose?

Upgrayedd

Besides resistance, addiction and finding a doc to prescribe, I just don't find that it improves sleep nearly enough for someone with long term insomnia issues.

I can certainly understand your reluctance to take anti-d's if you had bad experiences in the past. For me, trazodone was a miracle when I hadn't slept more than a few hours at a time in months. And I have no problem starting and stopping it as needed.

For a lot of us it seems that one med just isn't enough - we need something to help us fall asleep, and something help us stay asleep. @Who Me? is the Queen of sleep cocktails...

Last edited:

Folk

Yeah I've tried:
Anti-depressants: Each one was a different horrible experience.
Clonazepan: Makes me sleepy, and I do sleep for 6-8 hours sometimes 6 then wake, then more 2-3 hours.
Ambien: Worked in the past, it doesn't make me sleepy anymore but, perhaps makes me stay asleep. But bad dreams.
Rohypnol: The other day I can't get out of bed
Midazolam: Does nothing
Melatonin: Not sure about that but I don't think made a difference.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
So glad I don't have to worry about nightmares on top of everything else....Good luck!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources