Not the first time I'm thinking it might be fallout (as in nuke).

Not dead yet!

So I'm happily or limpingly going through life and stumbled on this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield

[article=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield#Sellafield_and_the_local_community]Studies carried out by the Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE) in 2003 reported no evidence of raised childhood cancer in general around nuclear power plants, but did report an excess of leukaemia (cancer of the blood or bone) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) (blood cancer) near two other nuclear installations including Sellafield, the Atomic Weapons Establishment Burghfield and UKAEA Dounreay. COMARE's conclusion was that "the excesses around Sellafield and Dounreay are unlikely to be due to chance, although there is not at present a convincing explanation for them".[102] In earlier reports COMARE had suggested that "...no single factor could account for the excess of leukaemia and NHL but that a mechanism involving infection may be a significant factor affecting the risk of leukaemia and NHL in young people in Seascale."[103]

In a study published in the British Journal of Cancer, which also did not find an increase in any other cancers other than Leukemia, the authors of which attempted to quantify the effect population mixing might have on the Seascale leukaemia cluster. In the analysis of childhood leukaemia/NHL in Cumbria, excluding Seascale, they noted that if both parents were born outside the Cumbrian area (incomers), there was a significantly higher rate of leukaemia/NHL in their children. 1181 children were born in the village of Seascale between 1950 and 1989, in children aged 1–14 during this period, the Seascale cluster of 6 observed cases of NHL were noted. Two similarly aged children, born between 1950 and 1989, outside Seascale were also diagnosed with ALL/NHL before the end of 1992.

The origin of birth of 11 of the 16 parents of these eight children was known, and found to be; 3 had parents born outside Cumbria and 3 had one parent born outside the UK. The studies authors strongly supported the hypothesis that the risk of ALL/NHL, in particular in the younger age group, increases with increased exposure to population mixing during gestation or early in life. Although they determined that the exact mechanism by which it causes these malignancies, apart from Kinlen's infection aetiology[104] that was mentioned, remained unknown, concluding that the possibility of additional risk factors in Seascale remains.[105] Type your article here[/article]

Can't remember what rabbit hole led me to that.

But it's not the first time I thought, hey, maybe it was Nevada / Ground Zero for ME/CFS and it's in waves because of the nuke test areas.

Some time ago, I saw something on here about a registry that was for where people lived to see if there was a physical pattern. Lost track though.

I'll have to remember to go over to MEpedia and see if there's anything about it.

Notice the Leukemia and NH-Lymphoma connection? And the suspicion of infectious agent? It could just be a lowering of immunity or retrovirus reactivator.

IDK but it would explain a lot.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources