Oxidative Stress Potential Biomarker for fatigue?

bobby

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051116301843
abstract said:
We sought to determine whether oxidative stress and anti-oxidative activity could act as biomarkers that discriminate patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) from healthy volunteers at acute and sub-acute fatigue and resting conditions. We calculated the oxidative stress index (OSI) from reactive oxygen metabolites-derived compounds (d-ROMs) and the biological antioxidant potential (BAP). We determined changes in d-ROMs, BAP, and OSI in acute and sub-acute fatigue in two healthy groups, and compared their values at rest between patients with CFS (diagnosed by Fukuda 1994 criteria) and another group of healthy controls.

Following acute fatigue in healthy controls, d-ROMs and OSI increased, and BAP decreased. Although d-ROMs and OSI were significantly higher after sub-acute fatigue, BAP did not decrease. Resting condition yielded higher d-ROMs, higher OSI, and lower BAP in patients with CFS than in healthy volunteers, but lower d-ROMs and OSI when compared with sub-acute controls. BAP values did not significantly differ between patients with CFS and controls in the sub-acute condition.

However, values were significantly higher than in the resting condition for controls. Thus, measured of oxidative stress (d-ROMS) and anti-oxidative activity (BAP) might be useful for discriminating acute, sub-acute, and resting fatigue in healthy people from patients with CFS, or for evaluating fatigue levels in healthy people.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This is really knotty stuff. I don't think they could have made it more difficult to understand!
This is from the Japanese group that's been working on ME/CFS for decades.

• Resting condition yielded higher d-ROMs, higher OSI, and lower BAP in patients with CFS than in healthy volunteers, but lower d-ROMs and OSI when compared with sub-acute controls: translation = ME/CFS had higher levels of oxidative stress and lower levels of antioxidants than the healthy controls but their levels of oxidative stress were actually lower at some time (after exercise?)
  • BAP values did not significantly differ between patients with CFS and controls in the sub-acute condition: translation = antioxidant levels were normal after a time (following exercise?) in ME/CFS patients than healthy controls
  • However, values were significantly higher than in the resting condition for controls: translation =antioxidant levels were higher in ME/CFS during rest than for the controls
I really don't understand this paper...

Justin

So sounds like they picked a while bunch of the wrong patients then made a study?

I get super toxic thats why I get Myers Cocktails further dont most of us have a screwed methylation system and krebs cycle?

If we were getting antioxidants from food why do many have so many gut issues and food intolerances and supplement intolerances...would you think that would lead to a deficiency?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources