'Palmitoylethanolamide, a Special Food for Medical Purposes, in the Treatment of Chronic Pain'

Remy

Administrator
Palmitoethanolamide (PEA) has been discussed on the forums before...here's the resource by Cort from 2014.

Here's a new article supporting the use of PEA for pain, mast cell inhibition and inhibition of microglial cells.

Paladini A, et al. Pain Physician. 2016.
Show full citation
Abstract

BACKGROUND: A growing body of evidence suggests that neuroinflammation, which is characterized by infiltration of immune cells, activation of mast cells and glial cells, and production of inflammatory mediators in the peripheral and central nervous systems, has an important role in the induction and maintenance of chronic pain. These findings support the notion that new therapeutic opportunities for chronic pain might be based on anti-inflammatory and pro-resolving mediators that act on immune cells, in particular mast cells and glia, to mitigate or abolish neuroinflammation. Among anti-inflammatory and pro-resolving lipid mediators, palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) has been reported to down-modulate mast cell activation and to control glial cell behaviors.

OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to perform a pooled meta-analysis to evaluate the efficacy and safety of micronized and ultra-micronized palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) on pain intensity in patients suffering from chronic and/or neuropathic pain.

STUDY DESIGN: Pooled data analysis consisting of double-blind, controlled, and open-label clinical trials.

METHODS: Double-blind, controlled, and open-label clinical trials were selected consulting the PubMed, Google Scholar, and Cochrane databases, and proceedings of neuroscience meetings. The terms chronic pain, neuropathic pain, and micronized and ultra-micronized PEA were used for the search. Selection criteria included availability of raw data and comparability between tools used to diagnose and assess pain intensity. Raw data obtained by authors were pooled in one database and analyzed by the Generalized Linear Mixed Model. The changes in pain over time, measured by comparable tools, were also assessed by linear regression post-hoc analysis and the Kaplan-Meier estimate. Twelve studies were included in the pooled meta-analysis, 3 of which were double-blind trials comparing active comparators vs placebo, 2 were open-label trials vs standard therapies, and 7 were open-label trials without comparators.

RESULTS: Results showed that PEA elicits a progressive reduction of pain intensity significantly higher than control. The magnitude of reduction equals 1.04 points every 2 weeks with a 35% response variance explained by the linear model. In contrast, in the control group pain, reduction intensity equals 0.20 points every 2 weeks with only 1% of the total variance explained by the regression. The Kaplan-Meier estimator showed a pain score = 3 in 81% of PEA treated patients compared to only 40.9% in control patients by day 60 of treatment. PEA effects were independent of patient age or gender, and not related to the type of chronic pain.

LIMITATIONS: Noteworthy, serious adverse events related to PEA were not registered and/or reported in any of the studies.

CONCLUSION: These results confirm that PEA might represent an exciting, new therapeutic strategy to manage chronic and neuropathic pain associated with neuroinflammation.

Remy

Administrator
Last I remember it was only available from one source in the Netherlands.
You can buy PeaPure from the Dutch source. They ship worldwide.

Or there is another option now on Amazon. I don't know the brand of quality personally though the convenience can't be beat.

Issie

If you guys get this, please post about it. I'm in a major pain flare and need something. Lots of inflammation going on. I'm using turmeric and ginger and magnesium oil. But it's not getting to it. I'm trying to cut back on all my meds. So this may be related. But trying to detox and meds are a major stressor on the liver.

Issie

Remy

Administrator
If you guys get this, please post about it. I'm in a major pain flare and need something. Lots of inflammation going on. I'm using turmeric and ginger and magnesium oil. But it's not getting to it. I'm trying to cut back on all my meds. So this may be related. But trying to detox and meds are a major stressor on the liver.

Issie
I have an extra box if you'd like to try some...

Remy

Administrator
Did you find it helpful?

Issie
I bought the three box combo because it was cheaper but I haven't tried it yet. I get back logged on my list of possible cures. :).

I got into all the mast cell treatments and it got pushed back and now I'm using ibudilast which should do the same sort of thing.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Palmitoethanolamide (PEA) has been discussed on the forums before...here's the resource by Cort from 2014.

Here's a new article supporting the use of PEA for pain, mast cell inhibition and inhibition of microglial cells.
Good news on PEA and good luck with Ibidulast. I haven't tried it yet. Thanks

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources