Poll: Do you have Diabetes or Insulin Resistance?

Do you have any of the following metabolic disturbances?

• Diabetes Type 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diabetes Type 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metabolic Syndrome/Pre-diabetes/Insulin Resistance

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Remy

Administrator
The meldonium thread has got me looking at fatty acid oxidation and it's role in both MECFS and diabetes (particularly type 2) and insulin resistance.

So I'm curious...how many of us have been diagnosed with (or have good reason to suspect you would be diagnosed with) diabetes, metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance?

Curious to hear about strategies to deal with this in comments as well as experiences with eating carbs vs eating proteins vs fats.

Tigerlily

Metabolic syndrome. I've recently gone very low carb high fat with loads of green veg and my symptoms have gone ie adrenal surges at night and sleepiness during the day. No labs yet.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I don't think I have any of them (I added a None of the Above Response - hope that's OK)....but I definitely do very poorly with carbs....and I'm on a low glycemic diet...

The CDC really wondered about metabolic syndrome for awhile. Suzanne Vernon told me there was a lot of controversy within the group whether it was present or not.

Remy

Administrator
Metabolic syndrome. I've recently gone very low carb high fat with loads of green veg and my symptoms have gone ie adrenal surges at night and sleepiness during the day. No labs yet.
Did you have your fasting insulin tested prior to changing your diet, by chance?

What is your typical fasting glucose (if you know)?

Tigerlily

Not insulin but was using a glucose metre and it was usually around 7 or higher sorry that's not the US measurement . Thanks for reminding me to start checking.

IrisRV

Over the past 3 years, my blood glucose has been between 81 and 97 where the normal range is 60-99. Currently it's at 94. I've lost a LOT of weight in that time, increased my activity level, and now eat few carbs, but the general trend is still very slowly upwards.

It looks like I'm within several years of not being able to control it with diet and lifestyle management. I may have slowed the progression, but I haven't brought my blood glucose down doing the recommended things. Perhaps more serious exercise might help, but that's not an option for us. I could get even stricter on the carbs, but reducing my carb intake a lot didn't lower my blood glucose, so I doubt cutting it a little more is going to have a substantial effect.

I've heard chromium can help in some cases. I tried it for a while, but it didn't lower my blood glucose. Whether it contributed to slowing the progression is hard to say.

Remy

Administrator
I heard a diabetes researcher on Doctor Radio say that Metformin use in prediabetics substantially delays the onset of diabetes. Here's a little something about it on Medscape. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844072

Turns out it has a lot of unexpected long term health benefits, too.

Metformin originally comes from French Lilac which sounds so much prettier!

But I always get confused about whether or not it is toxic to the mitochondria. Life Extension says it is good for mito biogenesis and MitoAction says its toxic. So which is it??

Upgrayedd

My fasting blood sugar was creeping up, 105, 110, 112..., although I was not overeat and I didn't think I was eating bad food. I switched to a very low carb, virtually no carb, diet for the past 9 or 10 months. Just had my blood done and my blood sugar was still 105, and my a1C went up to 5.7! which is prediabetic. I really don't get it.

Everything I've read, numerous articles and current books, all say low carb diets control blood sugar and insulin resistance, but apparently not for me.

My triglycerides and good cholesterol all moved in the right directions, but my total and 'bad' cholesterol went sky high...

Tigerlily

To stop the disease process for some, it is also necessary to have other things in place like not eating grain fed animal protein, and high green veggies or fish oil for omega 3.

Upgrayedd

To stop the disease process for some, it is also necessary to have other things in place like not eating grain fed animal protein, and high green veggies or fish oil for omega 3.
I do take Omega 3's. My protein is mixed - some is very high quality grass fed (I have access to meat, dairy, eggs, etc. from an Amish farm), but I eat some conventional meat too, especially when out of the house. I've been trying to move some of the saturated fats in my diet to monounsats, like olive oil and avocado, and lower protein.

I've been looking at supplements like berberine, citrus bergamot, glucomannan, fiber, etc. to help move my BS, insulin and chol down a bit.

Tigerlily

Frequency therapy. I am using it to kill Lyme bacteria and get herxes from it. Also used it for other things like interstitial cystitis.

Upgrayedd

Frequency therapy. I am using it to kill Lyme bacteria and get herxes from it. Also used it for other things like interstitial cystitis.
Interesting! Where do you get RIFE frequency therapy? Do you go someplace or is it equipment that you can buy?

IrisRV

Everything I've read, numerous articles and current books, all say low carb diets control blood sugar and insulin resistance, but apparently not for me.
I'm in the same situation. I was told that for many diet is the answer, but for some of us there's something more fundamental going on, perhaps something autoimmune. Diet is not going to fix that. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be wise about our diet to avoid making things worse, but that we may not be able to control blood glucose with diet alone. :(

I guess it shouldn't be surprising with the many things going wrong in ME bodies, that the pancreas isn't working right, either....

If you find a diet or supplement protocol that helps in our less-common situation, let me know. :)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources