Poll: Do you have Diabetes or Insulin Resistance?

Do you have any of the following metabolic disturbances?

• Diabetes Type 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diabetes Type 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metabolic Syndrome/Pre-diabetes/Insulin Resistance

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

IrisRV

Link to @Remy's thread on supplements for metabolic syndrome.

I voted that I have metabolic syndrome, but I'm actually just short of the cut-offs to have an official diagnosis. My PCP says since I have the body type and all my blood markers are almost there and increasing, I should act as if I have mild metabolic syndrome.

Does anyone have ideas/knowledge about whether our higher blood glucose may be because our aerobic metabolism is bust so we can't use sugars as well leaving more than usual in our bloodstream? That is, might it not be an insulin problem but an otherwise impaired use of glucose? Or does that not make any sense biologically? :confused:

Remy

Administrator
aerobic metabolism is bust so we can't use sugars as well leaving more than usual in our bloodstream? That is, might it not be an insulin problem but an otherwise impaired use of glucose? Or does that not make any sense biologically? :confused:
I'm not the best person to answer this due to incomplete knowledge, but it seems like all the metabolic pathways are kind of broken...glucose, fatty acids.

I know I have insulin resistance because my fasting insulin is 11...nearly 4 times higher than it should be in a healthy person.

Tigerlily

I thought that the cut off is 7.7 fasting for a diabetes diagnosis? 11 sound really high. (Haven't forgotten to start a rife thread, once l get up and fire up my pc.

Tigerlily

QUOTE="IrisRV, post: 14299, member: 3639"]I'm in the same situation. I was told that for many diet is the answer, but for some of us there's something more fundamental going on, perhaps something autoimmune. Diet is not going to fix that. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be wise about our diet to avoid making things worse, but that we may not be able to control blood glucose with diet alone. :(

I guess it shouldn't be surprising with the many things going wrong in ME bodies, that the pancreas isn't working right, either....

If you find a diet or supplement protocol that helps in our less-common situation, let me know. :)[/QUOTE]

I feel that we don't get the diet right moreso than the diet not being the answer. It may just be that it has to be much stricter than we are happy with. I have tried many diets and my last one was extremely healthy and low carb but was not enough. It might be because l was eating organic but not grass fed meat and having occasional laspses due to cravings like the odd packet of crisps. This time the cravings are gone.

An AI diet will reverse the disease process. Many testimonies on that one.

IrisRV

I feel that we don't get the diet right moreso than the diet not being the answer. It may just be that it has to be much stricter than we are happy with. I have tried many diets and my last one was extremely healthy and low carb but was not enough. It might be because l was eating organic but not grass fed meat and having occasional laspses due to cravings like the odd packet of crisps. This time the cravings are gone.

An AI diet will reverse the disease process. Many testimonies on that one.
I agree this is true in many cases, but it is not true in all cases. Many testimonies don't necessarily cover all situations. The problem with testimonials is that they are always the success stories. You don't get the failure stories in testimonials, so you don't get a full picture of the effectiveness of the product/treatment/diet by reading testimonials.

Of course it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbs you eat if you have high blood glucose, but keeping blood glucose under control is not always only about diet. If the insulin-producing cells in your pancreas aren't doing their job, diet will not reverse the disease process in that case. It may, however, reduce the amount of insulin required, which can help.

I have no carb cravings. I've tried paleo, keto, and very low carb diets. I lost 40% of my body weight. I continue to maintain a low carb diet. My blood glucose continues to very slowly increase no matter what I do. In fact, my blood glucose was lower when I was obese and ate a high carb diet than it is now that I'm a normal weight and eat low carb. Sometimes diet is simply not the answer. I expect my blood glucose would be worse if I ate more carbs, but the disease process is in no way reversed.

Last edited:

Tigerlily

Oh of course other factors are important when trying to get the body into healing mode. I should have mentioned that. I am going on the assumption that the other factors have been fixed.

Being in a toxic relationship for one, environmental sensitivities plus having an untreated infection like Lyme and ones own psychological state are important. Note I am not saying that ME is psychological. But if we have problems there which most of us have, then we need some mind detoxifiction like forgiving others to enable the body to heal as well as the other factors I have mentioned and of course many more.

But if we are in the state where the body can heal itself, which it was made to do, then working with the body to get the diet right should enable it to heal itself. I have got into that healing mode a few times but somethiing has always stopped it. And I have gotten into ruts with my healing not knowing what to do next, missing the key ingredients which have been eating piles of organic vegetables, up to 9 cups, and grass fed meat and finished (most important) which many low carbs diets do not include.

I also think that taking supplements can interfere with this healing and especially taking too many. The ideal is to get the body healing without the supplements then taking the few that are vital but doing it naturally if possible like the fruit powder I take for vitamin c but relying on diet even if it means taking dried greens eg to supplement the huge amount we should be eating including all vegetables. Taking medication will severely dampen the healing effect I fully believe but sometime they cannot be stopped for some time which will slow the healing right down.

I am afraid I don't agree that we do not hear of the failures - we hear all of the time that people have tried diet but it did not help them. I just don't think that the right diet or for the right enough length of time has been tried. The person I admire most is Dr Terry Whal's having secondary progressive MS and now perfectly healthy on her autoimmune diet and helping others to achieve the same. Of course You will not hear so much people on her site and others like it, saying it did not work. They usually leave before then and get on other sites.

Last edited:

Tigerlily

Oh not to forget the importance of healing a leaky gut (intestinal permeability) which sometimes takes more than diet.

Who Me?

I think @Tigerlily talked about her rife machine elsewhere because I know I read about it.

You hook it up to your PC. I didn't know if it worked for mac's.

Can't remember where I saw it here. I can check later

ankaa

Metabolic syndrome. I've recently gone very low carb high fat with loads of green veg and my symptoms have gone ie adrenal surges at night and sleepiness during the day. No labs yet.

did the new diet help pain, fatigue and/or brain fog?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources