POTS not caused by deconditioning

bobby

now tell me something I didn't know already! ;) Nice to see doctors telling it like it is.
Patients often feel frustrated and blamed for their illness and a lack of improvement or recovery when they are labeled as deconditioned or told that they are not putting their maximum effort, regardless of whether they are exercising routinely as part of their therapeutic regimen or have not been sick long enough to become deconditioned. Deconditioning can occur secondary to prolonged bed rest and chronic inactivity in patients with POTS, but appears to be not a primary underlying mechanism.

full text (editorial): http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdfplus/10.1086/687757

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Good catch Bobby! I don't know how you found this. here's some from it. It actually shows that what's going on in POTS is opposite to what would be expected in decondition....

This study provides the first objective evidence that low ventricular filling pressures in patients with POTS are contrary to what would be expected in deconditioned patients - high filling pressures (1).

Although the benefits of exercise have been acknowledged in several studies, almost 60% of
patients with POTS are unable to complete an exercise training program despite their efforts (4-6). Importantly, Oldham et al. demonstrate that exercise intolerance in POTS is not caused by a lack of maximum effort from the patient, but that low ventricular pressures occur despite the maximum effort (1).

Patients often feel frustrated and blamed for their illness and a lack of improvement or
recovery when they are labeled as deconditioned or told that they are not putting their maximum effort, regardless of whether they are exercising routinely as part of their therapeutic regimen or have not been sick long enough to become deconditioned. Deconditioning can occur secondary
to prolonged bed rest and chronic inactivity in patients with POTS, but appears to be not a
primary underlying mechanism.

San Diego

I don’t know about you, but if I was “deconditioned”, I’d just get back in shape.

Women do it after bedrest for pregnancy. Astronauts do it. Surgical patients do it. People come out of comas and do it, for crying out loud.

So many years of blaming patients. Let’s hope the Ron Davis style of individualized medicine puts an end to this legacy of idiocy.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I don’t know about you, but if I was “deconditioned”, I’d just get back in shape.

Women do it after bedrest for pregnancy. Astronauts do it. Surgical patients do it. People come out of comas and do it, for crying out loud.

So many years of blaming patients. Let’s hope the Ron Davis style of individualized medicine puts an end to this legacy of idiocy.
Right.....Don't they realize we're all trying to get up and go! Talk about a disconnect.

Check out the big Unutmaz grant. He's doing, I believe, the same type of deep molecular analysis that Davis is...

More good news for ME/CFS :)

http://www.healthrising.org/forums/...r-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs-grant.4475/

Issie

We can however later Become deconditioned. But it seldom comes first. POTS is a horrible thing to deal with. Vicious circles.

Issie

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources