Preventive appendectomy as treatment?

bobby

not sure if I'm posting this on the right subforum 'improving your gut'... ;)

I just heard this story about people with chronic health problems (ME/CFS, IBS, etc) getting their appendix removed (without appendicitis), which would make them feel a LOT better. Theory behind it is that there's a problem going on in the appendix, which somehow puts pressure on the kidneys and leads to chronic systemic health problems.

I can't find anything about this online anywhere, which is probably a warning sign. But I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone had heard of it, or knows what the mechanism behind this could be?

Lissa

Hmmm.... Not sure about that theory. I had my appendix removed during a hysterectomy - and hadn't had appendicitis. I can't say that it did anything for my health.

Also of note- neither my husband or I have our appendixes and we both wound up with reoccurring SIBO. What's interesting is that instead of being a useless organ, the powers that be have "discovered" that the appendix actually serves as an apartment complex for the good bacteria in the gut.

Coincidence that we keep struggling with SIBO? I'm beginning to think not...

bobby

What's interesting is that instead of being a useless organ, the powers that be have "discovered" that the appendix actually serves as an apartment complex for the good bacteria in the gut.
that's what I've heard too! they used to think a lot of other body parts were useless too (like the amygdala and the thymus gland) but were proven wrong years later...

bobby

still wondering what's behind the success stories I've heard... feeling better after appendectomy... Why would that be?

bobby

just found an old article (1999) from Scientific American, about the function of the appendix. some pretty interesting things...
Among adult humans, the appendix is now thought to be involved primarily in immune functions. (...) During the early years of development, however, the appendix has been shown to function as a lymphoid organ, assisting with the maturation of B lymphocytes (one variety of white blood cell) and in the production of the class of antibodies known as immunoglobulin A (IgA) antibodies. Researchers have also shown that the appendix is involved in the production of molecules that help to direct the movement of lymphocytes to various other locations in the body.
In this context, the function of the appendix appears to be to expose white blood cells to the wide variety of antigens, or foreign substances, present in the gastrointestinal tract. Thus, the appendix probably helps to suppress potentially destructive humoral (blood- and lymph-borne) antibody responses while promoting local immunity.

TigerLilea

I recently read that the appendix acts as a store house for the good bacteria and can help to repopulate our colons after having diarrhea. I'm wondering though if antibiotics have any affect on it??

Remy

Administrator
I recently read that the appendix acts as a store house for the good bacteria and can help to repopulate our colons after having diarrhea. I'm wondering though if antibiotics have any affect on it??
They must since antibiotics are an effective treatment for some cases of appendicitis.

I'm so opposed to randomly removing body parts for lack of any better treatment ideas. It seems like the gallbladder and the tonsils suffer this fate often.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources