Prohealth Survey Examines Triggering Events in ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
lgimage_20413.jpg

The phrase “no known cause or cure” is a familiar one to sufferers of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia. Neither one of these illnesses has a definitive cause and neither has an accepted biomarker.

While the cause remains elusive, triggers for these illnesses are well known. Patients have reported falling ill after exposure to pesticides, mercury, and other toxins. Injuries, such as car accidents and surgery are often associated with the onset of fibromyalgia. For patients with ME/CFS, many report becoming ill after what appears to be a flu, or other viral infection. And there are numerous others who become ill after bacterial and parasite infections.

The distinction between triggers and causes is important, even if it may seem a fine point. For example, many young people develop ME/CFS after a bout of mono. Epstein-Barr virus was certainly the trigger in these cases, but the chronicity of symptoms may be due to a different virus entirely, or to an autoimmune process. The same holds true for FM. A car accident or surgery may precipitate the illness, but the cause could be, as in the case of ME, neuro-inflammation to due to an infection, repeated physical injury, or various neurochemical imbalances.

Although causes and biomarkers are still being sought, it is important to take triggers into account. Treatment depends, in part, upon the trigger. While the symptoms may be identical, the mode of treatment will be very different for those with chemical exposure than those who became ill after a flu or infection. Ultimately, it may even prove that regardless of the similarity of symptoms, all of these subsets may be classed as different diseases.

Editors Karen Lee Richards and Erica Verrillo are conducting a survey to explore triggers in ME/CFS and fibromyalgia. We would also like to understand what patients themselves think is the underlying cause of their illness. While researchers hunt for causes in the lab, it is worth asking patients what they believe. Patient experience is the bedrock of clinical discovery.

Take the survey HERE.

Darlene Crain

lgimage_20413.jpg

The phrase “no known cause or cure” is a familiar one to sufferers of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia. Neither one of these illnesses has a definitive cause and neither has an accepted biomarker.

While the cause remains elusive, triggers for these illnesses are well known. Patients have reported falling ill after exposure to pesticides, mercury, and other toxins. Injuries, such as car accidents and surgery are often associated with the onset of fibromyalgia. For patients with ME/CFS, many report becoming ill after what appears to be a flu, or other viral infection. And there are numerous others who become ill after bacterial and parasite infections.

The distinction between triggers and causes is important, even if it may seem a fine point. For example, many young people develop ME/CFS after a bout of mono. Epstein-Barr virus was certainly the trigger in these cases, but the chronicity of symptoms may be due to a different virus entirely, or to an autoimmune process. The same holds true for FM. A car accident or surgery may precipitate the illness, but the cause could be, as in the case of ME, neuro-inflammation to due to an infection, repeated physical injury, or various neurochemical imbalances.

Although causes and biomarkers are still being sought, it is important to take triggers into account. Treatment depends, in part, upon the trigger. While the symptoms may be identical, the mode of treatment will be very different for those with chemical exposure than those who became ill after a flu or infection. Ultimately, it may even prove that regardless of the similarity of symptoms, all of these subsets may be classed as different diseases.

Editors Karen Lee Richards and Erica Verrillo are conducting a survey to explore triggers in ME/CFS and fibromyalgia. We would also like to understand what patients themselves think is the underlying cause of their illness. While researchers hunt for causes in the lab, it is worth asking patients what they believe. Patient experience is the bedrock of clinical discovery.

Take the survey HERE.
20150615_111828-1.jpg
acid burns on my head, meant for my eyes
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• Effects of pesticides.txt
    72 bytes · Views: 243
  • chemical sensitivity.txt
    40 bytes · Views: 240
  • moms trees.txt
    129 bytes · Views: 214

Darlene Crain

The black mold, shot in my gutter and on the roof. Under my house in the walls. Eats the stain off porch, deck, handrails. Gets on hands, face , arms and takes months to heal. Acids are also used. Fumigants, pesticides, herbicides also make me sick. Vomiting, migraines and CFS, Fibromyalgia Xtreme tiredness, sleeping too much. Kills plants, trees etc.

Darlene Crain

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS? ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY HAS A BOOK OF THE SYMPTOMS OF POISONS. I HAVE SEVERAL, LIKE 90 OF THEM. Many symptoms are the same as Agent Orange.
I've also have had death threats if I told people about this, but I'm very sick anyway, so it's taken a toll on my health. Others are suffering but do not know what's causing their illnesses. Others in my family also are being harassed. For Years now and gradually get worse every year. I need toxocology testing, most people can't believe people will do such things and Dr's won't listen. They try to say we imagine this. I can't imagine these daily migraines or the damage to my skin or home.

Darlene Crain

I have hundreds of movies and pics of damage and poison bubbles flying out of my walls at night when they show up on the night cameras.. you can't see this misting with the naked eye. But my car and outside walls are wet every night, even in drought conditions. Wipe the car and the cloth is Black. Tested, came back, A black Mold.
Look up Revenge, Electronic harassment, Agent Orange just for starters.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources