Provigil (Modafinil)

IrisRV

Since I was exhausted, not merely sleepy, modafinil did nothing positive for me.

On the downside, it kept me awake when my body really needed more sleep, so I was active when I should have been resting. That led to overdoing, and we all know where that lands us.

Modafinil is a medication for excessive daytime sleepiness, not fatigue. Too many doctors don't understand the distinction.

Strike me lucky

I have used low doses, 50mg and it helps with cognitive fatigue not so much physical fatigue. It was helpful but if i had crashed it didnt help, but i think this is a sign to rest. If its normal everyday crappy fatigue it could help but still need to be careful to push too hard or it could make u crash.

Abrin

I find modafinil does amazing things with my brain fog but it doesn't help at all when it comes to physical energy.

So, for me what ends up happening is that my brain will feel great but I am still completely useless because my brain exists within a body that constantly feels like my limbs are completely made of lead so it makes it impossible to get out of the bed to do things.

Remy

Administrator
I would be wary of Modafanil because it can increase glutamate, which may cause undesirable side effects.

Abrin

I would be wary of Modafanil because it can increase glutamate, which may cause undesirable side effects.

I don't know much about glutamate so I was hoping you could tell me about what kinds of side-effects and why an increase in glutamate might be bad.

Remy

Administrator
I don't know much about glutamate so I was hoping you could tell me about what kinds of side-effects and why an increase in glutamate might be bad.
Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter that is balanced by GABA in our brain. It's not bad, in fact it's crucial, but it's a balancing act. Too much glutamate doesn't feel good, at all.

http://www.focuswish.com/modafinil-...letter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_source=revue

However, the theoretical possibility of tipping the balance toward excitotoxicity exists, since modafinil enhances extracellular glutamate release in hypothalamic regions 9 with concomitant decrements in gamma-amino-butyric acid (the most ubiquitous inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS).

This two-pronged effect whereby excitatory signaling is enhanced and gabaeric signaling is suppressed raises questions about the potential neurotoxicity of modafinil in combination with other allosteric modulators of glutamate receptors, such as the racetams.

Here's a great piece written by Cort...https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...fs-puzzle-the-neuroinflammatory-series-pt-ii/

Paw

I had been thinking half-doses of Nuvigil (similar to Provigil) was helpful on particularly bad days. But I gradually developed a pronounced reaction -- swollen, sore mouth and tongue. My doc made me spend an entire evening in an emergency room out of fear of Stevens-Johnson. Now, I can't even tolerate tiny doses.

Other stims (like low-dose dexmethylphenidate) can cause minor mouth soreness (as well as generalized flu-ishness, but not nearly as bad. The glutamate connection never occurred to me, but I have learned that the best way to manage any bad stim reaction is with gaba -- glutamine, theanine, gabapentin, even baclofen.

Abrin

Other stims (like low-dose dexmethylphenidate) can cause minor mouth soreness (as well as generalized flu-ishness, but not nearly as bad. The glutamate connection never occurred to me, but I have learned that the best way to manage any bad stim reaction is with gaba -- glutamine, theanine, gabapentin, even baclofen.

I actually take modafinil and theanine (when I have it.)

I wonder if that is what is helping me?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources