Q About Seroquel and Lyrica

JennyJenny

My doctor is trying to treat my Fibro pain, sleep issues and fatigue. I think many doctors try to treat Fibro but don't understand that a patient with both does not do well with usual Fibro patients; we just are not PURE Fibro patients.

At any rate, he wants me on a low dose of Seroquel and is also suggesting Lyrica (scared of that because of the severe weight gain and I am already 30 pounds overweight) so I guess I am just asking for feedback on either of these meds especially if you have both Fibro and CFS.

Thanks.

Who Me?

I don't have fibro but I have taken Lyrica and Seroquel for sleep. I currently take 25 mgs Seroquel every 3rd night for sleep.

I LOOK at a Lyrica and I eat everything in sight. I have tried a really low dose for sleep and from the minute I wake until the moment I go to sleep I eat. That is not an exaggeration. I don't have that problem with Seroquel.

I don't know where Strattera fits in with those.

Good luck

Snookum96

I've never tried Lyrica but have used Seroquel anywhere from 25mg to 600mg. I had some issues with missing the window with Seroquel. If I didn't go to bed right after taking it it seemed like I missed the window and it didn't help at all.
As long as I went to bed right away I found it mildly helpful but I was so groggy if I woke up in the night I would frequently walk into things...although that's not entirely unusual lol.

Who Me?

Imo anything you take every day leads to tolerance and withdrawal issues if you want to stop it.

You might have to treat each thing separately. To find a one shot thing for pain and sleep? Don't know.

For sleep I have about 10 or more things I alternate, never taking the same combination 2 nights in a row.

Snookum96

I agree most pain or sleep medications could be hard to get off. I had no issue stopping Seroquel but trazadone was really tough. They never work for very long so I just gave up on sleep meds until I have the energy to do more research.

Who Me?

I had no problem tapering of trazodone a few months ago.

I have epic insomnia. I fought taking benzos for months. And didn't sleep for months.

Without a cocktail of stuff I would not sleep at all. I don't have the luxury to take my time and do research.

And at this point I don't care. Sleep is 99% of how I feel. If I have to take drugs to do it, it's a small price to pay imo.

Only someone who does not sleep at all will understand that.

Snookum96

I had no problem tapering of trazodone a few months ago.

I have epic insomnia. I fought taking benzos for months. And didn't sleep for months.

Without a cocktail of stuff I would not sleep at all. I don't have the luxury to take my time and do research.

And at this point I don't care. Sleep is 99% of how I feel. If I have to take drugs to do it, it's a small price to pay imo.

Only someone who does not sleep at all will understand that.

I wasn't saying I thought it was bad to take drugs to sleep, I've been doing it for years just still trying to find something I haven't tried that works.
Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Strike me lucky

I wasn't saying I thought it was bad to take drugs to sleep, I've been doing it for years just still trying to find something I haven't tried that works.
Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Belsomra is a new sleep med which works on orexin receptors. The science on it sounded good but the reviews on it were mixed. I would still try it if i could get the chance .

The other thing is to try and find ways to reverse benzo tolerance. There is some research showing nmda antagonists can help as well as stopping benzos for awhile. Dextromethorphine (spelling ) dxm for short, is an over the counter cough medicine that has nmda antagonist properties and helps to some degree, probably better if used while stopping benzos . Memantine is another drug with these properties . Something worth researching .

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources