Reborn II: Vagus Nerve Stimulation and Inflammation

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member

Judith

I have a nice little TENS unit I bought on Amazon last year when I was undergoing physical therapy for my lower back. I knew it wouldn't be anything like the large, expensive TENS unit my therapist used. It's about the size of a small smart phone, really light weight and comes with it's own cords and stick on pads.

The first time I used it, I was so surprised how intense the stimulation could get. It offers a menu of icons for the different types of massage. I found the one just like my therapist used, and that's what I generally use, or I go down the icons and do a little of them all. It really "grabs" the muscles, just like a massage, and the upper area where I use it moves about so much that my shoulders shake.

I tried the Medicare route, but it was such a hassle because the doctor who treats my fibro is SO hard to get the proper documentation from. I think I paid about $30 for this little unit. I don't know about putting it on my ear area though.

The .pdf document that Cort put in the Forum section showing how to use the "auricular" attachment and how to prepare the TENS pad by actually exposing the wires and then putting them inside that attachment aren't possible with my unit.

But if breathing also works, I'll definitely do that! I've used Dr. Weil's breathing method since I first read about it years ago, but only now and then. Now I will try and do it regularly everyday, and especially when I have my vagus nerve symptoms, and see if does indeed help.

This whole area of research relates to all of my most major symptoms: tachycardia, neurally mediated hypotension syndrome (NMH), vaso-vagal responses from irritable bowel that include: dizziness/vertigo, sweating, tachycardia, fatigue.

Now I understand better why Ashok Gupta's Amygdala Retraining Program works for so many people because the entire underlying focus is on shrinking the amygdala and thereby significantly reducing many of the core CFS/ME symptoms.

The "map" he uses and the script that you say out loud that goes with it, if done like he recommends, simply redirects the mind every single time you have a thought or concern about your body or you're focusing on symptoms. He also uses a specific alternate nostril breathing method and encourages meditation and other techniques.

I'm so BAD! My partner invested in Gupta's program for me a long time ago, and I used it for about a week, if that long, and just stopped because I'm SO undisciplined! :-( I want someone ELSE to fix me. LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I have a nice little TENS unit I bought on Amazon last year when I was undergoing physical therapy for my lower back. I knew it wouldn't be anything like the large, expensive TENS unit my therapist used. It's about the size of a small smart phone, really light weight and comes with it's own cords and stick on pads.

The first time I used it, I was so surprised how intense the stimulation could get. It offers a menu of icons for the different types of massage. I found the one just like my therapist used, and that's what I generally use, or I go down the icons and do a little of them all. It really "grabs" the muscles, just like a massage, and the upper area where I use it moves about so much that my shoulders shake.

I tried the Medicare route, but it was such a hassle because the doctor who treats my fibro is SO hard to get the proper documentation from. I think I paid about $30 for this little unit. I don't know about putting it on my ear area though.

The .pdf document that Cort put in the Forum section showing how to use the "auricular" attachment and how to prepare the TENS pad by actually exposing the wires and then putting them inside that attachment aren't possible with my unit.

But if breathing also works, I'll definitely do that! I've used Dr. Weil's breathing method since I first read about it years ago, but only now and then. Now I will try and do it regularly everyday, and especially when I have my vagus nerve symptoms, and see if does indeed help.

This whole area of research relates to all of my most major symptoms:, neurally mediated hypotension syndrome (NMH), vaso-vagal responses from irritable bowel that include: dizziness/vertigo, sweating, tachycardia, fatigue.

Now I understand better why Ashok Gupta's Amygdala Retraining Program works for so many people because the entire underlying focus is on shrinking the amygdala and thereby significantly reducing many of the core CFS/ME symptoms.

The "map" he uses and the script that you say out loud that goes with it, if done like he recommends, simply redirects the mind every single time you have a thought or concern about your body or you're focusing on symptoms. He also uses a specific alternate nostril breathing method and encourages meditation and other techniques.

I'm so BAD! My partner invested in Gupta's program for me a long time ago, and I used it for about a week, if that long, and just stopped because I'm SO undisciplined! :-( I want someone ELSE to fix me. LOL!!
:cool: :cool:

I'm with you Judith. I've done the same thing with the Weil breathing. (I did give Gupta a bit more time). What works best for me is mindfulness stuff. Right not I'm practicing "choosing" or saying yes to everything that happens so every reaction I have - good or bad - to me...I notice that when I do that by breath naturally deepens and I feel better. I think I must be stimulating the vagus nerve a bit.

It's slow but I do like feeling a bit better

There are so many ways to do this - I would investigate them and see what works best for you. Toni Bernhard's How to be Sick has many suggestions and I'm enjoying Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach as well. :)

IronGrill

Below are some photos of an alternative way to make a dual pole clip from 2 single pole clip which doesn't require a wire with carbon filaments;

20171029_152101.jpg

Take 2 single Pole Clips

20171029_150700.jpg

Cut the neutral head of one clip, disassemble the 2nd and remove the 2 lugs with a stanley knife or similar

20171029_151951.jpg

Use something to prop open the remaining clip ready for gluing

20171029_153148.jpg

Now glue the 2 components together wiith superglue or similar. The prop allows you to apply pressure while the glue sets.

20171029_152016.jpg

This should give you a dual pole clip;

20171029_152101.jpg

Hope this helps

Ivan

Attachments

• 20171029_152016.jpg
    20171029_152016.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 58

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work