Reduce Inflammation by Cultivating Awe

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Awesome
Mind over Immune

Researchers conducted two experiments designed to measure the affect positive emotions, such as amusement, awe, compassion, contentment, joy, love, and pride, have on the cytokine Interleukin-6 (IL-6), a marker for inflammation. More than 200 young adults participated in the experiments, mostly self-reporting their emotions on a given day. Afterward, researchers took samples of their gum and cheek tissue to measure levels of IL-6.

The results supported researchers’ hypothesis: Positive emotions are associated with lower levels of IL-6. What’s more is awe in particular was the strongest predictor for low levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, even when samples were controlled for relevant personality and health variables.

"That awe, wonder, and beauty promote healthier levels of cytokines suggests that the things we do to experience these emotions — a walk in nature, losing oneself in music, beholding art — has a direct influence upon health and life expectancy," Dacher Keltner, co-author of the study and psychologist at the University of California-Berkeley, said in a press release.

Who Me?

No Shit Sherlock! Everyone with connected brain cells knows that it's better to be happy and content.

I'm sleep deprived, in pain, nauseated in PEM but Yeah I'll just run right out and walk through a field of daisies and be cured.

Why don't they spend money researching something that might actually help me?

Cort

Staff member
No Shit Sherlock! Everyone with connected brain cells knows that it's better to be happy and content.

I'm sleep deprived, in pain, nauseated in PEM but Yeah I'll just run right out and walk through a field of daisies and be cured.

Why don't they spend money researching something that might actually help me?
I think it could help you - but it won't cure you.

Donna Jackson Nakazawa found doing this kind of stuff over a year over a year impacted her immune system and health greatly. She still had her autoimmune disease - but both her symptoms and her medical tests were improved. It can definitely move the bar...not all the way.....but any movement is good.

Cort

Staff member
Best example of awe, ever! This guy has the healthiest immune system on the planet. :cigar:

He's having a visual orgasm! :wacky:
I wonder if he was on drugs! He really let go.
Wow......
I hope I see a rainbow like that some day! :cool:

Who Me?

I'm not saying it doesn't work. The only way I could do it is if someone wheeeled me out on a gurney.

It's not realistic for many of us too sick to even get dressed. And who's gonnw scrape me off the floor and take care of me when I get back.

I just tired of stuff that doesn't have a practical applications for many of us

Can you tell I have virus brain anger? Lol

San Diego

He's having a visual orgasm! :wacky:
I wonder if he was on drugs! He really let go.
Wow......
I hope I see a rainbow like that some day! :cool:
It's an oldie but a goodie, eh? Always makes me smile and laugh. He's been interviewed repeatedly and says it was not a drug or sex experience, but rather a deeply spiritual one.

Put me on a mountaintop with a double rainbow after being housebound for so long and I'd probably sound just like that! :D:woot:

Who Me?

this is the the Morning Glory pool in Yellowstone. Most amazing thing I ever saw. The hike to it was worth it. Pre ME
image.jpg

Cort

Staff member
I'm not saying it doesn't work. The only way I could do it is if someone wheeeled me out on a gurney.

It's not realistic for many of us too sick to even get dressed. And who's gonnw scrape me off the floor and take care of me when I get back.

:android: :android: :android: :android:
;)

Cort

Staff member
It's an oldie but a goodie, eh? Always makes me smile and laugh. He's been interviewed repeatedly and says it was not a drug or sex experience, but rather a deeply spiritual one.

Put me on a mountaintop with a double rainbow after being housebound for so long and I'd probably sound just like that! :D:woot:
Just put it up in the fun, inspiring and humorous video section.

Lissa

Best example of awe, ever! This guy has the healthiest immune system on the planet. :cigar:

I was lucky enough to see one of these when I lived in CO and was out solo hiking near Grand Lake (obviously pre-CFS).... it was certainly cause for admiration and spirituality, but I don't think I quite reacted like this! HAH! What a trip!!!

Issie

Does anyone know why God created the rainbow? (I do, if anyone wants to know.) it was/would be a spiritual experience. I've seen them too and they are amazing. I always reflect on who created these Wonderful things For us, and yes they AWE us.

Issie

TigerLilea

Being angry doesn't help anyone, especially those of us who deal with chronic illnesses on a daily basis. Being able to feel amusement, awe, compassion, contentment, joy, love, and pride helps us to get through each day and not focus so much on our health problems, not matter how bad they are. :)

Who Me?

This disease causes brain inflammation and which causes anger. It's something I have no control over and never know when it's going to happen. Just another fun thing about ME.

Except that it's in the back of my mind 24 hours a day, I don't dwell on being sick, don't talk about it unless I'm having an exceptionally bad day and just go about living my life, such as it is.

@TigerLilea How long have you been sick and how old are you? I've been sick over 20 years and am over 60 and so I may have a different perspective than you.

I've never been touchy feely, oh that's so pretty, look at the pretty flowers. I grew up during Woodstock, Viet Nam War, Kent State Murders, Defy Authority and Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. That's my reference. Cynicism. Works for me.

TigerLilea

This disease causes brain inflammation and which causes anger. It's something I have no control over and never know when it's going to happen. Just another fun thing about ME.

Except that it's in the back of my mind 24 hours a day, I don't dwell on being sick, don't talk about it unless I'm having an exceptionally bad day and just go about living my life, such as it is.

@TigerLilea How long have you been sick and how old are you? I've been sick over 20 years and am over 60 and so I may have a different perspective than you.

I've never been touchy feely, oh that's so pretty, look at the pretty flowers. I grew up during Woodstock, Viet Nam War, Kent State Murders, Defy Authority and Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. That's my reference. Cynicism. Works for me.
I'm in my 25th year of having CFS and am in my mid-50s so I've had this illness almost half of my life now. I'm a "look at the pretty flowers" kind of gal. ;)

Seanko

On the other hand if you were to measure the cytokine levels of those corresponding about PACE/CBT/GET all day every day, would the numbers be off the scale?

Cort

Staff member
On the other hand if you were to measure the cytokine levels of those corresponding about PACE/CBT/GET all day every day, would the numbers be off the scale?
Now that's a different take - I imagine they would be quite high ;)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources