Reishi?

Veet

I've been in conversation of a vendor about reishi. In asking him about spores vs mushroom, i realized i couldn't recall what exactly had prompted me to go looking for reishi now. It's not new to me, but something must have crossed my visual field to prompt me to go looking. Is it for brain fog?:D

If anyone can point me to any conversation about reishi during the past week, I'd be grateful. Searching hr took me to this resource, http://www.healthrising.org/forums/threads/zensational-tip.4693/#post-22396, but that's not something I read already. Thanks.

Issie

My understanding is Reishi is only mushroom that won't contribute to yeast issues. It helps moderate immune system and helps inflammation. I take one cap nearly every night.

Issie

Strike me lucky

AHCC is quite pricey and marketed as a natural kkiller cell stimulant. I used it for a couple of months and had no increase in nk numbers and no improvements in quality of life, unfortunately.

Veet

Thanks all. I still haven't been able to trace my history back to what prompted me to look for reishi at this moment. I guess I'll hold off until I find a reason to pursue it.

Issie

A real standout! I got a multiple mushroom supplement from Prohealth but haven't started it yet. I think mushrooms are adaptogens (?) which puts them n a very good category in my book.

I'll post when I start it.
Only one that won't increase yeast and fungal issues....including mold problems is reishi.

Here is the one I use and love. It does seem to be causing a detox.

http://www.supremenutritionproducts.com/ReishiSupreme/index.html

Helps Lyme, mold, autoimmune etc, etc.

Issie

Veet

I've just found this list of reishi benefits. I'm still clueless as to what I read that sparked my interest at this time, as it seems it's not about hypotension, since reishi is useful to lower BP.
Maybe it was in my search for help w/ an ongoing nasal congestion, as my final addition in this post mentions respiratory problems.

Table - Pharmacological effects of whole Reishi extracts in vivo and in vitro

• Analgesic
  • Anti-allergic activity
  • Bronchitis-preventative effect, inducing regeneration of bronchial epithelium
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antibacterial, against Staphylococci, Streptococci, and Bacillus pneumoniae (perhaps due to increased immune system activity)
  • Antioxidant, by eliminating hydroxyl free radicals
  • Antitumor activity
  • Antiviral effect, by inducing interferon production
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Enhances bone marrow nucleated cell proliferation
  • Cardiotonic action, lowering serum cholesterol levels with no effect on triglycerides, enhancing myocardial metabolism of hypoxic animals, and improving coronary artery hemodynamics
  • Central depressant and peripheral anticholinergic actions on the autonomic nervous sytem reduce the effects of caffeine and relax muscles
  • Enhanced natural killer cell (NK) activity in vitro in mice
  • Expectorant and antitussive properties demonstrated in mice studies
  • General immunopotentiation
  • Anti-HIV activity in vitro and in vivo
  • Improved adrenocortical function
  • Increased production of Interleukin-1 by murine peritoneal macrophages in vitro
  • Increased production of Interleukin-2 by murine splenocytes in vitro
Key active constituents :

• Beta and hetero-Beta-glucans (antitumour, immunostimulating )
  • Ling Zhi-8 protein (anti-allergenic, immuno-modulating)
  • Ganodermic acids – triterpenes (anti-allergenic agents, cholesterol and blood pressure reducing

Elsewhere, I found this:
3. Liver regeneration
As recently as 2013, a study in Food and Chemical Toxicology used the reishi mushroom to reverse chemical-driven liver damage in mice. The same triterpenes that displayed anti-cancer properties in other studies appear to aid the release of free radicals and promote liver cell regeneration.
4. Neuroprotective properties
In 2012, Neuropharmacology released a study that determined that the reishi mushroom can have highly therapeutic effects on neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s disease. In this study, it was shown that reishi extract supports the production of nerve growth factor, a protein that is vital for healthy neurological function.

And this:
Relieves respiratory conditions
Ganoderma are also beneficial for people suffering from asthma and other respiratory conditions because it seems to have a healing effect on the lungs. They are good for building respiratory strength and curbing a cough.

Issie

I've just found this list of reishi benefits. I'm still clueless as to what I read that sparked my interest at this time, as it seems it's not about hypotension, since reishi is useful to lower BP.
Maybe it was in my search for help w/ an ongoing nasal congestion, as my final addition in this post mentions respiratory problems.

Table - Pharmacological effects of whole Reishi extracts in vivo and in vitro

• Analgesic
  • Anti-allergic activity
  • Bronchitis-preventative effect, inducing regeneration of bronchial epithelium
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antibacterial, against Staphylococci, Streptococci, and Bacillus pneumoniae (perhaps due to increased immune system activity)
  • Antioxidant, by eliminating hydroxyl free radicals
  • Antitumor activity
  • Antiviral effect, by inducing interferon production
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Enhances bone marrow nucleated cell proliferation
  • Cardiotonic action, lowering serum cholesterol levels with no effect on triglycerides, enhancing myocardial metabolism of hypoxic animals, and improving coronary artery hemodynamics
  • Central depressant and peripheral anticholinergic actions on the autonomic nervous sytem reduce the effects of caffeine and relax muscles
  • Enhanced natural killer cell (NK) activity in vitro in mice
  • Expectorant and antitussive properties demonstrated in mice studies
  • General immunopotentiation
  • Anti-HIV activity in vitro and in vivo
  • Improved adrenocortical function
  • Increased production of Interleukin-1 by murine peritoneal macrophages in vitro
  • Increased production of Interleukin-2 by murine splenocytes in vitro
Key active constituents :

• Beta and hetero-Beta-glucans (antitumour, immunostimulating )
  • Ling Zhi-8 protein (anti-allergenic, immuno-modulating)
  • Ganodermic acids – triterpenes (anti-allergenic agents, cholesterol and blood pressure reducing

Elsewhere, I found this:
3. Liver regeneration
As recently as 2013, a study in Food and Chemical Toxicology used the reishi mushroom to reverse chemical-driven liver damage in mice. The same triterpenes that displayed anti-cancer properties in other studies appear to aid the release of free radicals and promote liver cell regeneration.
4. Neuroprotective properties
In 2012, Neuropharmacology released a study that determined that the reishi mushroom can have highly therapeutic effects on neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s disease. In this study, it was shown that reishi extract supports the production of nerve growth factor, a protein that is vital for healthy neurological function.

And this:
Relieves respiratory conditions
Ganoderma are also beneficial for people suffering from asthma and other respiratory conditions because it seems to have a healing effect on the lungs. They are good for building respiratory strength and curbing a cough.
Sounds like many good reasons to take it.

Tammy7

Builds lymphocytes and platelets. I take Reishi on and off and also Chaga mushroom. Mushrooms can actually fight yeast and mold.

Justin

I tried it along with methylation and did not have a good reaction as it put me in hospital with hypokalemia but that was likely due to the methylation sups.

When I took it i noticed my glands woyld swell more so it was definately activating my immune system in some way.

I think being strategic in use of these supplements is key and finding out what maybe the problem other than just the immune system. I am looking into mythelation to see if this will correct this.

The giant jigsaw puzzle with such limited help can be extremely confusing.

Hope it works out for u.

Justin

:eek: Thanks for this. Sounds like a bad idea for my autoimmune issues.

Possibly it swelled my glands which I dont usually get. And increased some other symptoms as well I did not enjoy.

I think a step wise approach based on testing is the best way to mitigate negative reactions.

Just a thought.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources