Reversing Alzheimer's: What Could it Mean for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Fibromyalgia?

CathK

Dr. Terry Wahls is coming at this same issue from a different angle, namely, focusing on Multiple Sclerosis and mitochondrial function. She's had some very good results. Unfortunately her protocol is a *lot* of work, hard to do when I'm barely functioning. But even doing it partway, I feel better. I need to win the lottery......

Here's some more info on her.
http://terrywahls.com/about/about-terry-wahls/

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
A small number of case studies? It's interesting, but I'm fairly jaded these days, I don't get excited over uncontrolled pilot studies.
:) Yes, its a small uncontrolled study, but the placebo effect - a big reason for controlled studies - doesn't really come into play here. The placebo effect lasts only for a short time and all of these patients have maintained their cognitive improvement over at least 10 months and one of them for four years.

I don't how they would do a placebo controlled trial with this many factors...It would take years and years to evaluate the factors separately. This is a different kind of clinical trial and there needs to be a way to evaluate it successfully. Perhaps you just need to do longer trials; perhaps you can discount the placebo effect in any trial that lasts longer than 4-6 months.

I suppose they could compare these patients to patients getting a normal course of treatment but that's not a placebo controlled trial.

Aidan Walsh

I have heard recently that Kris Krisoferson 'not sure of spelling' the Singer/Actor was diagnosed with Alzheimer's it turned out he had Lyme disease all along...

My Mother died from Alzheimer's disease...Also now I am also hearing numerous People are now being diagnosed CFS/EDS with Herediatary Fructose Intolerance the genetic testing not the one Fructose malabsorption done with breath testing...I read an interesting Published Paper Dec 17th 2015 Hereditary Fructose Intolerance the diet says 100% avoidance of all Fruits plus a very strict diet even a list of certain vegetables permitted...

One Woman told me Wheat Garlic are high fructan foods to be avoided entirely...

One Autistic child sent to Gastro he was found to be intolerant to lactose dairy fructose sucrose wheat he was later diagnosed by a Genetic Doctor with (HFI) blood test...Another Woman sent to Gastro for sucrose intolerance she was told she had fructose intolerance, she was also to bring her child to a genetic Doctor when she was there the Doctor asked her about her health she diagnosed all with EDS 3 Hypermobilty the baby under 5 was to be brought back on her 5th Birthday the Doctor knew she also had EDS 3 as well on further examining all were blood tested fro Hereditary Fructose Intolerance they all were Positives...

This could explain why we have serious food issues plus Sucrose i.v. may be the choice of increasing blood volumes not Salt...

Last edited by a moderator:
Diet--some variation on low-carb--seems to be THE thing in almost all disease these days. I've tried all the variations over the last twenty years and found I couldn't sustain it. I became mentally/emotionally unstable--to where my family would beg me to eat a bagel and even now the very suggestion that I try again fills them with horror and distress--and unable to continue the diet, stress-eating grains until I regained emotional stability.

Low Dose Naltrexone has been a godsend for all kinds of reasons but one that I've not seen written about anywhere is that it has allowed me to maintain a gluten-free/dairy-free, low-ish carb diet easily and without losing my mind (or my family losing theirs). I was on 3mg for a year and that helped a lot of symptoms but didn't affect the ability to maintain diet. In Jan '16, I bumped up the dose to 4.5mg and almost instantly felt the difference. I've been GF/dairy-free since early Feb--six months--without any effort at all. I may try increasing the low-carb/low-grain aspect again and see how it goes.

Cort

Staff member
Diet--some variation on low-carb--seems to be THE thing in almost all disease these days. I've tried all the variations over the last twenty years and found I couldn't sustain it. I became mentally/emotionally unstable--to where my family would beg me to eat a bagel and even now the very suggestion that I try again fills them with horror and distress--and unable to continue the diet, stress-eating grains until I regained emotional stability.

Low Dose Naltrexone has been a godsend for all kinds of reasons but one that I've not seen written about anywhere is that it has allowed me to maintain a gluten-free/dairy-free, low-ish carb diet easily and without losing my mind (or my family losing theirs). I was on 3mg for a year and that helped a lot of symptoms but didn't affect the ability to maintain diet. In Jan '16, I bumped up the dose to 4.5mg and almost instantly felt the difference. I've been GF/dairy-free since early Feb--six months--without any effort at all. I may try increasing the low-carb/low-grain aspect again and see how it goes.
I've had something of a similar experience with carbs.....I wonder what it means. There is this idea that why you're allergic to you crave...

Interesting about the LDN...it appears to have quieted something down...which is what it's supposed to do.

Issie

Hmmm, LDN gave me a horrible depression. I tried it 3 different times. It helped with pain and sleep.....but the depression wasn't an acceptable side effect. I so was hoping it would work. My sis didn't keep taking it either.

My sis also has a fructose intolerance.

Yes Cort, that's what I've heard also.....what we all out crave we are probably sensitive to. I crave potatoes and have recently figured out that they and other nightshade family foods cause me more pain. When I give it to my craving.....I pay with more pain.

Issie

Aidan Walsh

It just might not be the Wheat Gluten that is making People feel so horrible it could very well be the Sucrose content found in most Breads same as Hellman's Mayo & store bought peanut butter contains Sucrose the Organic one does not contain Sucrose...I feel (HFI) is involved no doubts & Vitamins Minerals even Medicines contain Sucrose or similar additives

Remy

Administrator
Health Risers might be interested in this free webinar from last weekend which featured Dr. Bredesen talk about his protocol in-depth and its links to mold illness/CIRS.

http://www.moldillnessmadesimple.co...imers-and-mold-illness-with-dr-dale-bredesen/
I just finished Bredesen’s book, https://smile.amazon.com/End-Alzheimers-Program-Prevent-Cognitive/dp/0735216207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511630336&sr=8-1&keywords=end+of+alzheimer's+by+dale+bredesen, and was also struck by the similarities to MECFS.

I already do a ketogenic diet, which has been really helpful, but I've also employed some of the other strategies he mentioned, such as Lumosity brain training games and RevitaMind binaural beats.

Last edited:

Cort

Staff member
I just finished Bredesen’s book, https://smile.amazon.com/End-Alzheimers-Program-Prevent-Cognitive/dp/0735216207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511630336&sr=8-1&keywords=end+of+alzheimer's+by+dale+bredesen, and was also struck by the similarities to MECFS.

I already do a ketogenic diet, which has been really helpful, but I've also employed some of the other strategies he mentioned, such as Lumosity brain training games and RevitaMind binaural beats.
I'm reading it now....

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources