Sam E - can it help Fibromyalgia?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Fibromyalgia News Today has a nice overview of SAM-e. They conclude that the evidence for FM is mixed and inconclusive. One of the problems is surely the lack of large, well-designed studies which allow the authors to come to a conclusion. That means SAM-e's effectiveness is up in the air. It might be effective or it might not be: there's just not enough evidence to tell.

From the blog:
The NiH National Institute of Complimentary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) reports that during clinical trials investigating the possible value of SAM-e as a treatment for mental illnesses and liver diseases, researchers noted that people with depression, and some study participants who also had osteoarthritis, reported that their joint symptoms improved when they were taking SAM-e, and began to investigate it as a possible treatment for osteoarthritis.

The NIH notes that SAM-e has now been investigated most extensively for depression, osteoarthritis, and cholestasis associated with pregnancy, and that for all three conditions, research has not conclusively shown SAM-e to be helpful.

The agency also states that while SAM-e has also been investigated for other conditions, including fibromyalgia, migraine, schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, ALS, and ADHD, there isn’t sufficient evidence to reach conclusions about its effect.

The NCCIH also points out that while small studies have examined various natural products including SAM-e for treating fibromyalgia, a 2010 systematic review concluded that there is not enough evidence to determine whether any of these products provide a health benefit.

Corial_2

I think acupuncture can help in Fibromyalgia. Actually I heard that acupuncture is beneficial for almost all kinds of health issues. I just got my treatment from Mississauga acupuncturist for leg pain and she is highly experienced. I think you must consult her regarding Fibromyalgia.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources