Social Security Disability benefits slated to be cut 19% in 2016

Dee VanDine

Social Security Disability benefits are currently slated to be cut 19% in 2016. Please contact your elected officials to stop this problem. I'm sure that many of us will be in trouble when this hits, and few people know about it. Please spread the word with your personal networks. Thanks!

I'm sorry if you are one of those who doesn't have disability benefits.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Social Security Disability benefits are currently slated to be cut 19% in 2016. Please contact your elected officials to stop this problem. I'm sure that many of us will be in trouble when this hits, and few people know about it. Please spread the word with your personal networks. Thanks!

I'm sorry if you are one of those who doesn't have disability benefits.
Wow - that's an enormous amount. 19% (!). Is that for everybody or just for some people?

Who Me?

Here is a letter to use taken from Rachel Maddow I think.

Message Subject: Prevent SS DI Benefit Cuts.
Message Text:
As a recipient of SSDI, I ask for your support in opposing cuts to the Social Security program.

Over the course of the last several decades, when the disability-insurance program runs short on funds, Congress transfers money from elsewhere in the Social Security system to prevent benefit cuts. It’s never been especially controversial – in fact, it’s been done 11 times over the last seven decades.

This time should be no different.

Please show your support for the sickest and weakest members of the district you represent by opposing these cuts and ensure that SSDI remains intact for those who need it most.

We won't stop being sick just because we can no longer afford to eat.

Sincerely,

Dee VanDine

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/us/disability-benefits-face-cuts-in-2016-trustees-say.html?_r=1
"In January, Republicans adopted a new rule in the House that could block a direct reallocation of money at the expense of the trust fund that provides benefits for retirees."
"Though often considered together, the trust funds for retirees and disabled workers are 'distinct legal entities that operate independently,' the trustees said. Officials cannot divert money from one to the other unless Congress explicitly authorizes such a shift, as it has done several times in the past."

These quotes, from the nytimes article, summarize the reason why we shouldn't assume that it will be business as usual when it comes time to shift funds around in 2016. The republicans currently control the house and senate, and have been trying to "reform" social security for years. They call it "entitlement reform" or "privatization". Presidential candidates should be pushed to talk about their views on this issue. However, they generally talk in broad terms about social security and do not get into the nitty gritty of disability benefits vs. those for retirees. The GOP wants us to believe that there is no problem here. People who are following this problem know that this is the easiest way for the GOP to start their "reform". Fewer people have disability benefits than retiree benefits. Few are concerned and that is why i brought this issue up in this forum. It needs to be shared and discussed. We need to rally individuals, who can, to register and vote. Also, contacting your congressmen and senators is key for this issue.

I will try to elaborate more in the future, however, i am on this forum because i have ME/CFS/Fibro and it is difficult to keep up.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources