Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) Announces New Research Grants Program May 2016

GG

The Solve ME/CFS Initiative is launching the Ramsay Award Program, a research grants competition open to basic scientists and clinical researchers interested in studying ME/CFS. The award is named after Myalgic Encephalomyelitis pioneer Dr. A. Melvin Ramsay, who was the recognized authority in ME from 1955 until his death in 1990, and whose sound descriptions of the disease have stood the test of time.

Our organization’s previous grant program had a three-year cycle; our current plans are to make grant awards annually. Individual awards are expected to range between $35,000 and $55,000 made for a one-year period, with the possibility of renewals to projects yielding promising results. Submitted proposals will undergo a rigorous, peer-review process to select the most meritorious applications.

cont'd

http://solvecfs.org/smci-announces-new-research-grant

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
The Solve ME/CFS Initiative is launching the Ramsay Award Program, a research grants competition open to basic scientists and clinical researchers interested in studying ME/CFS. The award is named after Myalgic Encephalomyelitis pioneer Dr. A. Melvin Ramsay, who was the recognized authority in ME from 1955 until his death in 1990, and whose sound descriptions of the disease have stood the test of time.

Our organization’s previous grant program had a three-year cycle; our current plans are to make grant awards annually. Individual awards are expected to range between $35,000 and $55,000 made for a one-year period, with the possibility of renewals to projects yielding promising results. Submitted proposals will undergo a rigorous, peer-review process to select the most meritorious applications.

cont'd

http://solvecfs.org/smci-announces-new-research-grant
Good to hear! Thanks..

Some of the SMCI's pilot grants have gone on to accrue millions of dollars in federal grants. If memory serves both Alan Light and Gordon Broderick got early SMCI grants that helped them continue on in this field.

For some reason I feel a little weird about the SMCI naming the grants after Dr. Ramsey. He was a clinician - a very discerning clinician - but I wouldn't call him a researcher and he's from the UK - not the US. It seems like an odd fit for the SMCI....I wonder if there's going to be any push back from UK advocates?

I hope these small grants are big enough to produce the pilot data needed to go for the large federal grants. I imagine they are....

Nice to see them doing this yearly...

Last edited:
Reactions: GG

Cort

Staff member
Here's more on the program.

The Ramsay Program has three main objectives:
  • INVEST in original ideas that will clarify the nature, progression and root causes of the disease.
  • CREATE environments through these pilot grants to help awardees generate preliminary data and compete for long-term federal grants with the hope of retaining those researchers in the ME/CFS field.
  • FACILITATE collaboration and cross-pollination among individuals committed to solving this challenging medical issue through our organization’s network and its activities.

Additional details on submission and eligibility will be made public to researchers through a Request for Applications (RFAs) in late spring 2016. The submission deadline is July 15, 2016, with an anticipated award notification date of Sept. 1, 2016.

weyland

For some reason I feel a little weird about the SMCI naming the grants after Dr. Ramsey. He was a clinician - a very discerning clinician - but I wouldn't call him a researcher and he's from the UK - not the US. It seems like an odd fit for the SMCI....I wonder if there's going to be any push back from UK advocates?
It's spelled Ramsay. You're diminishing his contributions to this disease by a large amount. He was a researcher. He published research, he chaired a research group that received funding from major UK organizations. He was definitely not "just" a clinician. I don't see why anyone in the UK would be upset about this, I think it's honoring him and his contributions and it's commendable. I really like the direction SMCI is taking since Carol Head took the helm. Every step they've taken has been on point.

Cort

Staff member
It's spelled Ramsay. You're diminishing his contributions to this disease by a large amount. He was a researcher. He published research, he chaired a research group that received funding from major UK organizations. He was definitely not "just" a clinician. I don't see why anyone in the UK would be upset about this, I think it's honoring him and his contributions and it's commendable. I really like the direction SMCI is taking since Carol Head took the helm. Every step they've taken has been on point.
My apologies. I did look up the wrong name. I see he did publish a few studies - all small ones - but he did publish some. I knew he wrote a seminal work but didn't know about the studies.

I really like the direction Carol Head is taking the organization as well, and I'm glad you like the name. I would have rather had it named after someone in the US but after saying that I really can't imagine who in the US they would name it after - so if they were going to name it for someone he's probably the right choice.

I guess I'm pretty US centric! I like ME/CFS more than ME, for instance - I'm just more used to it.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources