space travel impacts health permanently

bobby

remember that NASA study on deconditioning due to space travel, and subsequent reconditioning of astronauts? it turns out deconditioning is not really that big of a deal, in comparison to the extensive range of permanent health issues that astronauts suffer from after their work in space.

they have no idea why they get these health issues, but they are possibly immune related. who knows, maybe we'll find things out about us when they start studying their mystery illness?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/space-travel-permanent-effects-astronaut-scott-kelly/story?id=39884104
article said:
The environment astronauts are exposed to while in space is unlike anything we experience here on earth. Specifically, astronauts are exposed to high levels of radiation and carbon monoxide, and a micro-gravity environment which causes loss of bone and muscle, vision impairment and effects on our immune system to name a just a few.

"Exposure to the space environment has permanent effects we simply do not fully understand," he added.

“I developed a hive-like rash on every surface of my skin that came in contact with ordinary surfaces on Earth during normal activities like sitting or lying in bed.”

In addition, the astronaut explained that his legs were swollen “due to the shift of gravity forced upon my body,” and that he developed flu-like symptoms that he believes were due to his extended time in space.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
That is so interesting.

He was 52 years old! He retired nine days after he got back...He was a perfect test subject because he has a twin on earth...

Kelly was aboard the International Space Station for 340 consecutive days, a record for the most time spent in space by a U.S. citizen. Nine days after his mission ended last month, the 52-year-old announced his retirement.

In the release from Knopf about the book, Kelly says, “Every day, I was exposed to ten times the radiation of a person on Earth, which will increase my risk of a fatal cancer for the rest of my life. Not to mention the psychological stress, which is harder to quantify and perhaps as damaging."

Look at these twins!

[bimg=no-lightbox]http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/GTY_scott_mark_kelly_mm_160224_12x5_1600.jpg[/bimg]

Seven

I wonder how much has to do with the lack of "live" food. I imagine their food is highly processed and with preservatives.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources