Resource The Craniocervical Junction - Overlooked and Underestimated in Importance ?

Merida

This is a very important article : The Role of the Craniocervical Junction in Craniospinal Hydrodynamics and Neurodegenerative Conditions, written by Michael Flanagan, D.C. - a chiropractor with special training in neurology and physical anthropology/ skull structure.

Here is the link : http://www.hindawi.com/journals/nril/2015/794829
( just checked link - doesn’t work directly anymore. Go The the link, do a search for Michael Flanagan. Scroll down and you will see the title and author. Click on it, and the correct article comes up.)

Dr. Flanagan also has a book, The Downside of Upright Posture. I honestly do not understand how there can be significant progress in CFS/ME/FMS causation until the dynamic function of the central nervous system is appreciated and carefully defined by researchers.

How does spinal fluid get from the sacral bulb back to the brain, against gravity? One expert told me that it “just sloshes around.” I was shocked, and realized that he/ they did not know about the craniosacral pump - the eloquent reciprocal movement of the occiput ( and cranial bones) and the sacrum which is powered by inhalation and exhalation.

My journey started 20 years ago when an unknowing chiropractor twisted and pushed my pelvis and neck for a sore right hip from yoga class. My nervous system crashed, and I was bedridden, near death, as no system was functioning correctly. Why?? It was the discovery of the brilliant work ( and treatment) of the Sacro-occipital chiropractors, NUCCA chiropractors, and cranial osteopaths that began to restore my function and explain what on Earth had happened to me.

Certain factors like Scoliosis, small posterior fossa, and connective tissue laxity ( EDS) may add instability to this eloquent system, thus adding additional risk of developing symptoms following viral infection or injury.

Last edited:

Merida

HI New Members, @bobnajera and @MadeleineTD - Gee I haven't been on site for many months - fatigue and not being able to sit upright at computer for very long. I am glad you found this article important. I have been reading a lot about spinal fluid leaks, and think this is another potentially important and related issue - especially for EDS people. Exactly how virus/immune issues may interface with craniocervical/pelvic instability is a very interesting topic for me. I developed main symptoms after injury, but my son developed the syndrome ( age 5 !! , 1986) following well-documented EBV infection. Is a 'leaky' blood-brain barrier involved ? The best expert on structural instability and correction that I have found may be Jerry Hesch in Colorado. A Ph.D, in physical therapy and so much more.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources