The importance of Blood flow and Evening Primrose Oil in ME

Who Me?

by Leslie Owen Simpson(more info)
listed in cfs me, originally published in issue 169 - April 2010

Introduction

The study of blood is shared between two branches of medical science, namely haematology and haemorheology (blood rheology). While haematology deals with the cellular and chemical make up of blood, haemorheology relates to those physical factors of the blood which influence the rate of blood flow, such as plasma viscosity, whole blood viscosity and red cell deformability. For unexplained reasons, blood rheology is not taught at medical schools, and medical students will not be made aware of the thixotropic nature of blood, i.e. that there is an inverse relationship between the rate of blood flow and blood viscosity. Thus the slower the rate of blood flow, the higher is the viscosity of the blood. As a result, general practitioners will not be aware of the clinical implications of altered blood rheology except for a small number of disorders in which increased blood viscosity is an accepted feature. Polycythemia rubra vera is a condition in which the number of red cells is increased greatly, and this is manifested as increased blood viscosity with a variety of dysfunctional features. But when the excess of red cells is removed, normal tissue function is restored. Myelomatosis is a condition in which the synthesis of myeloma protein increases blood viscosity. When the myeloma protein is removed by the use of plasmapheresis, normal rates of blood flow are restored.

http://www.positivehealth.com/artic...-of-blood-flow-and-evening-primrose-oil-in-me

Remy

Administrator
This is kind of nuts...but it ties back into the calcium channel theory again.

Calcium is apparently vitally important for the proper functioning of RBCs. Too much intracellular calcium and they too stop working.

Excessive PGE2 (prostaglandin) sensitizes the ion channels including the calcium channels. Taking EPO drops the PGE2 level and desensitizes them again so they fire normally.

It looks like even T2 diabetes can be reversed using EPO...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1871184

Fascinating. Guess I'll take a little more EPO tonight!

Who Me?

I have this vague recollection that EPO put me in a coma. That or some other oil that I can't think of. Shoot cant remember now.

Forebearance

I take EPO, too, but I find that the challenge is to find a brand that is less rancid.
Right now I'm using Jarrow and it seems pretty good. I've also had good luck with Blue Bonnet.
But some brands smell awful, so I don't want to put them in my body.

Remy

Administrator
I take EPO, too, but I find that the challenge is to find a brand that is less rancid.
Right now I'm using Jarrow and it seems pretty good. I've also had good luck with Blue Bonnet.
But some brands smell awful, so I don't want to put them in my body.
I've been using Barleans. I know it is working because I have copious watery cervical mucus. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources