The microbiome... what is it?

bobby

there's so much talk about the microbiome. I feel like science is discovering that it has a pretty major impact on everything the human body. but sometimes I feel like they are so excited about it, they make it seem like it is also the SOURCE of everything. all these unexplained illnesses are now supposedly created in the gut, i.e. the biggest habitat of the microbiome. not sure what to think about that.

a good starting point is learning a bit more about the microbiome, and what it is exactly...
This is a short article, with a cute video that explains it in very easy terms.
http://microbediscovery.org/the-microbiome/

At the end of the video, the voice says this:
We end our story with a reminder: this reserach is really new. We still have a lot to learn about what many of our microbes are really doing, but scientists say that it's getting clearer and clearer that the tiny organisms all over our bodies are essential to our health and happiness.

What do you think? is our gut making us sick, and can we cure ourselves by curing our gut?

Lissa

Honestly I read one of the recent articles about the Cornell study results, and was a little disconcerted that a person might read about it, and come away thinking that probiotics will cure us. After trying multiple types, brands, and doses for years - plus various diets, most of us know better of course, but will the average reader?

bobby

exactly @Lissa it sounds too easy, doesn't it? I feel like many years ago science suddenly discovered all these cool things about the brain, but never (up until this day even) got to understand how it really works in detail. so that was the perfect place to dump all unexplained illnesses. everything stemmed from the brain. as science has been discovering more about the brain, this hypothesis has become less feasable, so now they are discovering this other amazing (and big) organ: the gut! let's dump it all in there! perfect!

I think gut issues are usually a trickle down effect. probiotics have done nothing for me either. apart from giving me weird side effects, even though the box always says: no side effects. as per usual. :rolleyes:

Issie

It is said that the immune system stems from the gut. Things like Lyme may not be a factor with someone whose immune system was working properly. Their system would properly identify and fight off the offending organism. With those whose immune systems don't work properly, we don't. The key is our autoimmune system and inflammation.

As for probiotics, they are very important. But you need to rotate strains. Not take the same one all the time, as to not imbalance all the various types. Also foods that are prebiotic and probiotic are important.

Detox and cleanses are vital. We have to eliminate what we can that may be burdening the system even more.

Stress is a big factor. Cortisol plays a big part in even other hormone productions. Here is an interesting article.

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/stresscortisol.html

We are what we eat. That does affect our immune system. Foods and herbs should be our medicines.
Issie

San Diego

is our gut making us sick, and can we cure ourselves by curing our gut?
Somehow I think my gut issues, and microbiome imbalance, were a secondary - downstream from my ME.

I spent years with mild ME and no gut issues. Then years with moderate ME and no gut issues. As I slipped rapidly into severe, my gut went crazy. For over a year I had non-stop severe diarrhea - that’s the year I was bed bound. Lost half my hair, lost too much weight, couldn’t think, had to crawl to (or slept in) the restroom, etc etc etc.

I have no idea what pulled me out of that tailspin, it just gradually switched to a more classic IBS situation.

Recent Genova micro biome testing shows high inflammation, low diversity, and SIBO - all of which I think are practically a signature of ME/CFS???

bobby

For over a year I had non-stop severe diarrhea - that’s the year I was bed bound. Lost half my hair, lost too much weight, couldn’t think, had to crawl to (or slept in) the restroom, etc etc etc.
I liked your post, but this part actually sounds horrific... so sorry you had to go through that! :depressed:

Lissa

Recent Genova micro biome testing shows high inflammation, low diversity, and SIBO - all of which I think are practically a signature of ME/CFS???

Ding ding ding...... Me too! Have had inflammation for no known reason forever. Doctors always said, well gee - your body must be fighting something.

My first few Genova tests showed nearly zero beneficial and an overgrowth of some oddballs. Last time I tested things were more balanced and I had super high beneficials. Not sure that species were differentiated though. (And that was after years of revolving door probiotics!)

Also fought SIBO for the last two years, including diet changes, low FODMAP, revolving door of herbal antibiotics for months on end. Just this year I threw up my hands and gave up on that battle. I was hugely bloated, despite being absolutely religious to the anti-SIBO regimen. (I'd even done three weeks of the flipping Elemental "Yuk Shake" Diet for crying out loud!)

Read up on MCAS recently and it sure seems it could be an important clue to what is going wrong in my gut. Thanks to the many who have been contributing to that running conversation! It's great to have advice from y'all.

San Diego

Also fought SIBO for the last two years, including diet changes, low FODMAP, revolving door of herbal antibiotics for months on end. Just this year I threw up my hands and gave up on that battle. I was hugely bloated, despite being absolutely religious to the anti-SIBO regimen. (I'd even done three weeks of the flipping Elemental "Yuk Shake" Diet for crying out loud!)
It’s so frustrating. I’m dying to know what the “yuk shake” is. It might be similar to the Vitamin swill I gag down every day for lunch. :wacky:

I’m doing Wahl’s Paleo plus (ketosis) to see if that together with diflucan will kill off some yeast overgrowth. My doc is adding a course of Xifaxan too, based on my last Genova.

I wish I could say I feel hopeful, but I’ve been down the hope road one too many times! Now I’m a tortoise, not a hare lol.

Lissa

It’s so frustrating. I’m dying to know what the “yuk shake” is. It might be similar to the Vitamin swill I gag down every day for lunch. :wacky:

I’m doing Wahl’s Paleo plus (ketosis) to see if that together with diflucan will kill off some yeast overgrowth. My doc is adding a course of Xifaxan too, based on my last Genova.

I wish I could say I feel hopeful, but I’ve been down the hope road one too many times! Now I’m a tortoise, not a hare lol.

Somewhere on the forum I had done a write up of the Elemental Diet - do a search and it should come up. I think Cort posted it for me from a word doc. Yuk Shake is just a joke title I made up! Heh heh!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources