'The Vagus Nerve's Role in Chronic Fatigue, Depression, Obesity, and Other Common Diseases'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remy, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Remy

Remy Administrator

The Townsend Letter has an article on the role of the vagus nerve this month.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
    taniaaust1, ankaa, Wayne and 3 others like this.
  2. rebar

rebar Active Member

That was an excellent read.

3. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

What an overview! I'll create a link to this in the Resource section :)

I didn't at all know that some supplements had been shown to improve heart rate variability. That is cool

On the other hand I'm surprised that more have not been tested...

4. Zapped

Zapped Well-Known Member

I discussed with a quack, er, doctor the vagus nerve as possible etiology for ME (after reading related bio articles a while back). He said that it could be a culprit but soon became evasive as to what in fact to do about it! It was obvious he knew in theory but not practicum.

No surprise, as The old saw goes - the clinicians are 15 years behind the 'lab bench,' with some notable exceptions, a la Dr. John Chia. I wonder about his position on a novel treatment since he works all around the Vagus nerve in dealing wiith enteroviruses, both at his office in Torrance and at UCLA. Surely he's considered the relatedness when doing biopsies.

@Cort, @rebar, If either have seen Dr. Chia a call to him may well yield an opinion or possibly further elaboration. He used to spend a lot of time in the lab, and in fact cured his now MD son of a devastating ME/CFS-type disease... . He's a gem of a source on this topic.

@Cort, if you're so inclined I bet a letter from you with the above article 'for use on HRF' would be favorably received. (I know from experience he responds to faxes and does phone interviews on Saturday afternoons,)... .

As an afterthought, it seems a sequitor to the article re treatment of the Vagus nerve would involve focused antibiotics or special protocols of steroids, or both, in some x sequence, type, quantity and duration; or other? FMPV, it's worth an arrow!;)

5. Remy

Remy Administrator

Seems like nitric oxide is the common denominator between l citrulline and beetroot?

Wayne likes this.
  6. Zapped

Zapped Well-Known Member

@Remy
    Right, but what's the best approach to generating N2O2(?) systemically?
    (Hasn't this topic come up somewhere Christmas past?)

I know external gas is great, in all seriousness, for clarity of symptoms, but to work ongoingy we would have to access a hot-air-balloon-sized container (at $10
    nz... ), maybe set it up on the corner like a lemonade stand. I don't know if it's a legal rx in the US, but I would pay BIG for open rx! My otherwise friendly dentist keeps his eye on his portable unit...;)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Member

Ive got more of an interest in the vagus nerve as Ive been told by an online dr that this was the cause of my latest collapse several days back where I went unconscious and ended up ringing an ambulance when I came too as I couldnt figure out why I collapsed as it completely different then my past collapses. I had severe chest pain and then unconscious collapse 20-30 seconds later.. just triggered by swallowing a mouthful of icey cold water. (apparently something which can happen with dysautonomia and often there is mitral valve issue too.. so it all fitted with my ME stuff).

8. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Just a short note: -- I believe the topical DMSO applications I started doing this year with great benefit has also improved my vagus nerve function. I apply DMSO + Magnesium Oil liberally to my head and neck area 2x/day, especially at the base of the skull where the vagus nerve exits the brainstem.

I'm convinced it's improving circulation and reducing inflammation in my vagus nerve. One of these days, I'm going to start experimenting with ingesting DMSO to see what else it might do for me. I'm hoping to combine DMSO therapy with some HBOT therapy this coming year, as many of their therapeutic benefits are similar.

9. Seven

Seven Well-Known Member

@Cort But I don't understand, I have high HRV , not low. unless I am not understanding. I have the HR all over the place, I go from 60bpm to 90bpm by moving. So would it be good to take this supplements in our case (POTs+CFS)?

10. Remy

Remy Administrator

HRV is heart rate variability. It's a different measurement than heart rate...we want to increase our HRV, typically, because that indicates greater activation of the vagus nerve.

Zapped likes this.
  11. Zapped

Zapped Well-Known Member

I agree' and this may just suggest that cardiology(ist) is a good place to get good feedback on Vagus nerve affects, possibly medication/treatment.

IMO, 9/10 GP know less than an informed PWC about the Vagus nerve and almost nil about treating it's physiology. They simply are not motivated to keep up with current research when their practice (operative word) is lagging by 15-20 years; and they are non-risk takers. Whereas, non-perjoratively, cardios work in a closed system of plumbing and electrical currents and tend to HAVE TO stay up on everything that affects that system - or too many dead patients!

I would venture a guess that its (the V nerve) activity is manipulated 'up or down' by a systemic drug related to cardio physiology. [Now, let's see... for home brew why not start at alpha, beta blockers, then on through the a-z's of cardio drugs; eventually the problem will go away...:confused:]

Wayne likes this.